Wiring parking mode Dash Cam

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tezarc

So, after witnessing a rather bizarre collision where the vehicle in front of me was struck even though they initially avoided the incoming vehicle I decided it is high time I stopped procrastinating and install a dash cam.

I have decided on a Blackvue 2ch with power magic ultra battery. Through my readings I'm familiar with the switched and constant 12v contacts in the fuse box but I would like the dash cam's battery to only charge when the vehicle is plugged in.

Does anyone know of a signal or connection for this purpose?

In my opinion, the best solution is to wire it into the same circuit that supplies the 12V outlets in the car. This makes sense because that circuit is live whenever the main traction battery is powering the car, and for approximately 13 minutes after the car is turned off, and is also live for the whole time that the car is plugged in to a charge point.

That circuit can be accessed easily within the car's fuse box - either with a "piggy-back" fuse or by using one of the spare fuse ways.

I’m new at this so this might not work, but if you want surveillance while the car is off, power the camera from an external battery pack which can be recharged from an accessory jack whenever the car is running. I have a few battery packs that have a USB outlet for accessories plus a micro/mini port for recharging the battery.

Your power magic ultra battery, whatever that is, might augment or interfere with my idea.

I’m new at this so this might not work, but if you want surveillance while the car is off, power the camera from an external battery pack which can be recharged from an accessory jack whenever the car is running. I have a few battery packs that have a USB outlet for accessories plus a micro/mini port for recharging the battery.

Your power magic ultra battery, whatever that is, might augment or interfere with my idea.
Or pick up a permanent live from the fuse board

The 12V will get charged by the traction battery, some one work out how many months that would take to run the traction battery flat 😀

The 12V will get charged by the traction battery, some one work out how many months that would take to run the traction battery flat 😀
Hi I bought a special lead which plugs onto the OBD port which powers the dashcam when the i3 is switched on, it also has an override switch so you can leave it on and the dash cam then becomes a security camera, bought from Halfords with the Blackvue dash cams.

As already said, I don't think that's advisable, given the capacity of the 12V battery. Although nobody here (as far as I'm aware) has a complete understanding of exactly what can trigger the car's control modules to "wake up" and start up the DC-DC converter, it's quite likely that putting a permanent load on the 12V battery could have one of several bad effects. For example, it might cause the control modules to be "awake" much more than intended, or it might cause the 12V battery to be more deeply cycled than intended.

Of course, it all depends how power-hungry the camera system's parking mode is - no doubt some are better than others at conserving battery power.

As already said, I don't think that's advisable, given the capacity of the 12V battery. Although nobody here (as far as I'm aware) has a complete understanding of exactly what can trigger the car's control modules to "wake up" and start up the DC-DC converter, it's quite likely that putting a permanent load on the 12V battery could have one of several bad effects. For example, it might cause the control modules to be "awake" much more than intended, or it might cause the 12V battery to be more deeply cycled than intended.

Of course, it all depends how power-hungry the camera system's parking mode is - no doubt some are better than others at conserving battery power.
On my 12V bluetooth monitor the 12V battery is charged / topped up daily

This is the way to do it right in my opinion. Zero chance of draining the main 12V battery if connected to switched power. Some accessory packs can only do one or the other at a time however, leaving no output when charge power is present.