Will the Rex keep running with flat batteries?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lecram

If the batteries are almost empty, will then the Rex keep running (with enough fuel, of course)? And if the fuel tank is empty, will it give you another range after filling it up?

With other words: is it (theoretically) possible to make a really long trip with the Rex if you refill the tank every 80 miles?

Lecram said:
If the batteries are almost empty, will then the Rex keep running (with enough fuel, of course)? And if the fuel tank is empty, will it give you another range after filling it up?

With other words: is it (theoretically) possible to make a really long trip with the Rex if you refill the tank every 80 miles?

Yes, you can continue drive and refueling for as far as you need to go.

TomMoloughney said:
Lecram said:

Yes, you can continue drive and refueling for as far as you need to go.

Thanks Tom!

But your power is limited then (when batteries are empty)! Due to the 34 bhp engine, the car will act as a 34 bhp car... So i would say: avoid running out of batteries.

Niek1970 said:
But your power is limited then (when batteries are empty)! Due to the 34 bhp engine, the car will act as a 34 bhp car... So i would say: avoid running out of batteries.
That's a common misconception. It will continue to act as a 170hp car, using more than 34 hp (up to 170hp) when demanded, and regenerating energy to the battery when less is demanded. The car should be able sustain an average of 75mph (~24hp is all that is needed to sustain that speed, but efficiency losses must be accounted for) or so with full ability to make short accelerations assuming no net altitude change. A prolonged climb with a depleted battery would probably require slowing a bit below 75mph.

...and talking about degraded performance, the U.S. spec REX reportedly will engage only when the traction battery's SOC reaches 5% or below. At that point, the REx operates as not much more than a trickle charger, struggling to maintain that 5%, maybe a little higher under the most optimal driving conditions. So forget about climbing those long hills and passing traffic. This was apparently done to meet California emissions and CARB requirements, which also means that all U.S. bound i3 REXs will operate this way.
The biggest concern I have is the effect on the traction's battery's lifespan. From what I've read, the sweet spot for and EV's SOC is between 80 to 20 percent if you're looking at keeping the battery's capacity to last as long as it can. However, if the American REX is designed to engage only when SOC reaches below 5%, then its basically contributing to battery degradation and eventual loss of capacity. And because the REx will try to maintain 5%, the deep cycling that results in battery degradation keeps going & worsens (whereas in the pure BEV, this can't possibly happen, obviously) until the engine is shut off. So, if used regularly, it looks like you're looking at a battery that may have the same loss of capacity in a few years or less, just like typical electronic mobile devices which get used & abused all the time. That sounds hard to bear on a $50,000 car as opposed to a $100 celphone. I hope they change the REx settings on the U.S. version before it lands at dealerships.

I understood that the percentage where the rex will engage is adjustable. The Rex I drove with the test drive had the nr. 7 button programmed as a Rex on/off button.
We don't have hills here in Holland (only in the 'Belgium' part of the Netherlands are some small hills) so that will not be a problem here.

At the other hand, FastNed is building 201 fast chargers along the highways so that we can charge our i3 every 40 km within 30 minutes.

Lecram said:
I understood that the percentage where the rex will engage is adjustable. The Rex I drove with the test drive had the nr. 7 button programmed as a Rex on/off button.
We don't have hills here in Holland (only in the 'Belgium' part of the Netherlands are some small hills) so that will not be a problem here.

At the other hand, FastNed is building 201 fast chargers along the highways so that we can charge our i3 every 40 km within 30 minutes.

...for the pending American market, apparently the REx can NOT be adjusted, and will only engage when SOC is below 5%. Hopefully, BMW will change its mind and revert it to just like the Euro/int'l version, where you can engage at anytime below 80 or 75% SOC. Kinda like Mountain Mode on the Chevy Volt.

jcal0820 said:
...and talking about degraded performance, the U.S. spec REX reportedly will engage only when the traction battery's SOC reaches 5% or below. At that point, the REx operates as not much more than a trickle charger, struggling to maintain that 5%, maybe a little higher under the most optimal driving conditions. So forget about climbing those long hills and passing traffic. This was apparently done to meet California emissions and CARB requirements, which also means that all U.S. bound i3 REXs will operate this way.
The biggest concern I have is the effect on the traction's battery's lifespan. From what I've read, the sweet spot for and EV's SOC is between 80 to 20 percent if you're looking at keeping the battery's capacity to last as long as it can. However, if the American REX is designed to engage only when SOC reaches below 5%, then its basically contributing to battery degradation and eventual loss of capacity. And because the REx will try to maintain 5%, the deep cycling that results in battery degradation keeps going & worsens (whereas in the pure BEV, this can't possibly happen, obviously) until the engine is shut off. So, if used regularly, it looks like you're looking at a battery that may have the same loss of capacity in a few years or less, just like typical electronic mobile devices which get used & abused all the time. That sounds hard to bear on a $50,000 car as opposed to a $100 celphone. I hope they change the REx settings on the U.S. version before it lands at dealerships.

There is likely another 10% reserve below the 0% threshold. My guess is that BMW consider the 5% compromise reasonable to slight battery degradation. Although they did mention that the range extender is not meant to be used regularly. So if one has a commute that requires daily draining of battery to 5% it could become an issue.

jcal0820 said:

Couple things: The range extender doesn't "struggle to maintain 5% charge" at all. Once the SOC dips below 6% the range extender turns on and it quickly gets the SOC back up over 6% and maintains it. Unless you are really pressing it (over 80 mph or driving at highway speeds for many miles up a steep incline) it can easily maintain and hold the 6% SOC. Also, is you really want to worry about deep cycling, the REx is much better than a BEV i3. WIth the BEV you can drain the better until it just won't go any further, that can never happen with the REx, it won't allow you to. The range extender will keep the SOC above 0 under ant circumstance, unlike a BEV. I have driven my EV's till they just won't go any further and that can't happen with the REx i3, so deep cycling is not an issue at all. As someone else mentioned there is about a 10% buffer anyway so with the REx you'll likely always have 12-16% there under ant condition.

If you are really worried about bringing on early degradation then monitor the battery temperature and try to keep it from exceeding 100 degrees because the heat will do more damage than anything. Also, if you plan to leave the car unused for long periods of time, don't fully charge it. Lets say you are going away for a month, leave it at about 70% charged before you go away. It's not good to allow a fully charged battery sit at 100% for long periods.

Thanks for the clarification on that 10% 'buffer' to prevent complete discharge. Knowing that, the SOC when the REx turns on sounds more practical for driving. However, I still think the US spec i3's with range extender should allow driver option to engage depending on the type of travel anticipated, much like the Mountain Mode in the Volt, for the best performance. Since BMW's attempt to win a BEVx special exemption for CA (getting the unlimited White HOV sticker) wasn't successful, why not just allow the REx to function like the European ones where the user can select when to turn the extender on? It'll get the (limited supply) Green HOV sticker regardless.

PS: I see you got the Active E since '12... About how much range are you getting these days compared to when new?

jcal0820 said:
PS: I see you got the Active E since '12... About how much range are you getting these days compared to when new?

Tom did an excellent writeup on his blog about range degradation in the ActiveE:

http://activeemobility.blogspot.com/2013/06/when-94-no-longer-means-94.html

Unfortunately, he also trashed that ActiveE and is now driving a different one, with way fewer miles on it, so he can no longer do an apples to apples comparison.

I've not been nearly as fastidious as Tom in keeping logs, but after 2 years and 31K miles my 'E seems to have lost about 5% of it's original range (it's difficult to say as right now the loss of range due to the cold masks any loss due to degradation.)

--Woof!

Back