Using Tesla Destination Chargers with an adapter for your i3?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don’t know about using an adapter for Tesla destination chargers in the UK but here’s a Map of UK and European Tesla superchargers that are open to non Tesla drivers, including i3’s, using the Tesla app to control the charge.

I don’t know that I would put all the blame on Tesla here. The J-3400 is going to be the US standard, and Ford and Rivian can already use Superchargers with an adapter. I am sure BMW has a word in their adoption and likely isn’t very motivated to worry about the i3 anyways. (And maybe rightfully so, because we, as a family, are leaving BMW behind us, until they come out with a new compelling EV product that fits our needs.) The i3 is now accompanied by a Model Y LR AWD, and replaced a 12 year old X1. Let’s see whether BMW finally gets back to making dedicated and well packaged EV platforms with the “Neue Klasse”, because the “Musky” odor of Tesla is definitely a bit of an issue for us, but there simply is still no car that can compete in terms of value/ease of use and of course the charging network.

My understanding is that it still requires a phone app to communicate with Tesla
I could deal without having yet another solved problem -- in this case refueling a vehicle -- re-solved by adding an "app" to the equation.

I don't know if there's an "I don't want your app t-shirt" but I know I'm gonna get one. Unless I need an app . . .

I could deal without having yet another solved problem -- in this case refueling a vehicle -- re-solved by adding an "app" to the equation.

I don't know if there's an "I don't want your app t-shirt" but I know I'm gonna get one. Unless I need an app . . .
I’ll use the app all day long, if it means I get access to the full supercharger network immediately.

I bought one, but know it won’t work until Tesla unlocks the software capability. Technically it shouldn’t be difficult, because what is a “magic dock “ other than a physical adapter to fit the CCS1 plug? I don’t need plug-in charge, which I believe is why it’s taking such a long time for other car makes to get access to the full supercharger network.
When they open they're going to be on a different strength and will have an adapter built in. I would return. I don't see a need for it

When they open they're going to be on a different strength and will have an adapter built in. I would return. I don't see a need for it
No they won’t. CCS is getting discontinued in the US. What do you mean by “strength”? If you mean the charging power, it won’t matter to i3. We are limited to 50kW already.

You are correct about it being a software issue. On my Ford site (I have an F150), someone took a Ford EV with the Ford adapter to a supercharger site and charged their EV - I think it was the F150 - with no problem. Using the same adapter they then tried to charge a Rivian and could not charge. The charger recognized the vehicle.

I believe you are refering to the A2Z Adapter Ford Is giving it's drivers free of charge coming October 2024 - This comes from a the source of a Ford Mach-E.

I feel lucky that they were kind to give me the lay of the land at 3am, my first charging experience ...it didn't go very smooth to get the car home 86miles.

Is there hope for i3 being able to use this?
https://a2zevshop.com/products/nacs-ccs1?variant=43186507579592

Yes, there is hope. I have the A2Z adapter. I believe the Ford one is actually made by/for Tesla, and then there is another one that is recommended/tested by Tom Mologhney from the “stateofcharge” YouTube channel. All these adapters are pass-through, and currently Rivian and Ford are software unlocked for plug-in charge with Tesla Superchargers. Our i3(s) charge on the Magic Dock Tesla Superchargers. Nothing else so far.

The title of this thread is:

Using Tesla Destination Chargers with an adapter for your i3?​

But later posts seem to be all about Tesla Superchargers NOT destination chargers. So my question is who has used an adpater on a Tesla type destination charger? And which adapter do you have?

Thanks for the information, I have seen those advertized new for around $140. I may buy one to have - just in case. I haven't done any longer road trips with my 2019 i3 Rex but I plan to start doing them occasisionally.

Back