Tint application help!

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I33t

Hi.

I took my i3 into a tint workshop today regarding tinting the windows. The tint shop is an experienced establishment that has done plenty of BMW and other euro models but they have never seen an i3 before.

Normally, they loosen the door trim to allow the window tint to reach past the inside wiper trim, but the door cards on the i3 are unusual for them and they backed off on that after not finding standard BMW door card fixing arrangements.

They also had a look at the rear side window and were concerned about the large cavity on the forward edge restricting access. They think the trim should probably be removed to get enough access to do a good install.

Lastly, to measure up the tint for the hatch glass, they normally use the outside of the glass, but the spoiler restricts full access to the glass. Once they have a template, they won't have a problem, but it looks like the spoiler will need to be removed to get the template.

Mine is the first i3 in this region, and it will probably be several months before there are more around and enough being tinted so that templates and experience exist to make the tint job easy and risk free. The i3 has only been on delivery for about a month in Australia so there is not much local experience.

The tint company is helpful and conservative. The last thing they want to do is to damage the trim or break any fastenings. I appreciate that and would like to be able to help them get the job done well and pain free for both of us.

Has anyone watched their i3 being tinted and are able to offer any suggestions?

Hi,

Have my car booked in tomorrow for tinting in Brisbane. These people definitely know their BMW's and in the case of the i3 will have done at least two or three previously. I can appreciate where you are coming from so if you will bear with me for a day I shall get back to you with what I find out.

Cheers

Gazza.

I've used the same Window Tint shop for years, they've done at least 8 cars (including 5 bimmers) for me and the i3 was the first time they've ever done a less than perfect job.

They had to re-tint my driver's side window after a week, the rubber interior trim that sits against the window had peeled up the corner near the edge of the door. I had not rolled down the windows once this was caused solely by the "auto" roll down that happens when you open the door. My tint guy said they had to run the tint on those windows much further down than usual so the trim would not catch the edge of the tint and lift it off the window. I know they didn't pull the door cards off so I'm assuming they just removed that rubber trim that runs along the bottom of the window in order to slide the tint down into the door.

Those rear side window cavities were a real pain in the ass for them and the tint doesn't sit perfectly against the glass in those areas. It doesn't look bad but it's not as good as it could be. The tinter ripped the sheet on their first two attempts trying to push the film into those areas to get it to sit all the way against the edge. There are no gaps in the tint but there are some areas where the tint isn't completely flat to the glass.

They also had to remove my spoiler. It's really easy, remove the screws under the bottom edge and pull the spoiler "down" towards the bumper. The hard part is re-installing it, make sure the spoiler is perfectly flush to the glass before you push it back "up" into position so it catches the tabs right.

Thanks Gazza and Pentacat.

I guess the question re those side windows is if there is any benefit of removing the trim. If the CFRP underneath is in the same shape as the trim then there might not be much point.

Look forward to hearing about your tint today Gazza!

My tint guy had a little trouble with the rear quarter windows but other than that is was straightforward.

We have been removing the rear luggage compartment window trims at the dealer for people that want their vehicle's tinted darker. The CFRP underneath has a much less drastic ledge, so it is easy to tint it with the trim removed.

I33t said:
Thanks Gazza and Pentacat.

I guess the question re those side windows is if there is any benefit of removing the trim. If the CFRP underneath is in the same shape as the trim then there might not be much point.

Look forward to hearing about your tint today Gazza!

I had a chance to take a look at a rolling i3 chassis with all of the trim panels removed this past weekend - it appears that the CFRP on the side windows basically follows the same shape, so it wouldn't be worth the trouble to remove that trim.

Back