Thoughts on charger adapters?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heyjoel

I've been contemplating whether to buy one of those Tesla to J1772 charger adapters. Has anyone tried charging their car at a Tesla charging station with an adapter? How was the experience?

P.S.
I have my eye on this brand
https://ev-lectron.com/products/lectron-tesla-to-j1772-adapter-max-48a-250v-for-tesla-high-powered-connectors-destination-chargers-and-mobile-connectors-black?_pos=8&_sid=82b512aa3&_ss=r

I have had one of these (Tesla Tap brand) for about 2 years. Used it two-three times in hotels.

Keep in mind that these work for Level 2 only, you cannot use with superchargers.

Overall it could be useful in a pinch, but it would be really useful for someone who has a Tesla charger at home and wants to charge another EV. Other than that it will be an occasional use item.

as mentioned these would only be good at a L2 Destination charger, not a Supercharger.

Superchargers are basically L3 (DC Fast Charger) and locked to Tesla network. When they do transition some of them in the future, they will have an integrated "Magic Dock" that already adapts the Tesla format to CCS.

New to the Bimmer-verse and PEV, so far it's been a reality check on the verge of remorse without obvious or quick solution to get *Beverly* updated and myself educated on how and what that entails before I can confidently go more that 10 miles in my new 2017 BMW i3 60ah BEV.

If lack of accurate maps and apps were enough, I find these forums out of date too.
No offense to my new beloved community 🖤🖤🖤

It's just looking more like car camping at the rate of 6kw (5hrs=30+/- miles) and both car/phone deplete battery the longer I search/wait/try another.

Now today, July 17, 2024 ...wading through adapters: Tesla NACS to J1772 adapter.
Which is best or safe(r): 48kw/60kw/80kw?

Will BMW approve NACS to CC1(2?) for potentially even faster charging??

https://a.co/d/9NslyfU

Last edited:
Now today, July 17, 2024 ...wading through adapters: Tesla NACS to J1772 adapter.
Which is best or safe(r): 48kw/60kw/80kw?

Will BMW approve NACS to CC1(2?) for potentially even faster charging??
80 kW will be designed with heavier-duty wiring and connectors built inside, which may increase the dimensions or weight of the adapter. But not to worry, the i3 is only capable of 50kW, max.

Now as to whether Tesla will allow our i3's on their network, that remains to be seen. However other DCFC providers will begin adding NACS to their dispensers in not too long, so at some point in the future everybody is going to want to be carrying an adapter for the greatest flexibility.

Note however that the NACS to CCS adapter you're asking about only works for DC fast charging. It won't work for charging with a Tesla level 2 unit.

man i just went through 4 Amazon Tesla-J1772 adapters. trying to charge my 2017 with a Tesla Mobile charger. they all didn’t work so what i did was set a departure time schedule and i also reset all data in the car. after that, one of the adapters started charging the car! the brand was QIAO. i don’t know which solution made the difference because i didn’t try charging after making both changes.. but oddly, the Seguma, EVDance, and Jeevisen still don’t work

Back