Successfully added Traffic Jam Assistant to US model -- interested in other people's experience with TJA

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe the OEM version requires constant confirmation of hands holding the steering wheel, from what the manual seems to suggest.

The retrofit bypasses the sensor, since US vehicles don't have it, so the system will keep working even without hands on the steering wheel. But again... this is a driver assist feature, so hands should be on the steering wheel at all times.
From the attached manual scan:

Operating Requirements:
. . .
> Both hands on the steering wheel.

Hmmm. . . One-handed drivers need not apply . . .

Maybe that's another reason it's not offered in the US -- we have the "Americans With Disability Act" and, since Americans love to sue, BMW would be in court in a flash.

You can also write me a private message here or even an email to: [email protected]

You can also write me a private message here or even an email to: [email protected]

Hey guys! Thank you for your orders! We also want to provide the best user experience for this product, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask, either here or on Whatsapp!
What's your WhatsApp account name?

I'm the OP and now three months in. Update:

This is just awesome in stop/go traffic (e.g. what it was designed for). While I always pay close attention (perhaps even more attention) I've had my i3 take me to work without my touching the wheel, gas pedal, or brake for long stretches like 10 minutes or more (yeah, our traffic is that bad here). At faster speeds, it does cut out quite a bit as it loses lane markings (depending on the road obviously) but it's still a hoot.

Remote installation by PremiumRetrofit was a snap, although the dire warning messages scared me, they were part of normal installation process and all cleared just fine.

Highly recommended if you like "gee-whiz" tech as I do.

I believe the answer is yes.

TJA was never approved for the US; the software/hardware is present nevertheless in US models, just not implemented. The PremiumRetrofit adaptor merely makes the OEM TJA available to switch on.

Sorry, I just saw this late! The TJA modules will be available again from the middle of next week, but we can of course take pre-orders.
I finally have the module installed and am ready for the coding. I have laptop connection to car set. I am in California, and I am not on social media. I can download Whatsapp! and figure it out to get this installed. I can be awake in the middle of the night here if needed. Please suggest a date/time for the install.

Larry Kalenda

I finally have the module installed and am ready for the coding. I have laptop connection to car set. I am in California, and I am not on social media. I can download Whatsapp! and figure it out to get this installed. I can be awake in the middle of the night here if needed. Please suggest a date/time for the install.

Larry Kalenda
Hi Larry! Just write me on Whatsapp when you have time for coding! According to your time, I am available from 7 AM to 2 PM.

I bought a module from a different supplier but I am too chicken to do the programming now, Will premium retrofit just do the programming?

The coding was done yesterday and it works great!! The support from Premium Retrofit was outstanding. Now on to the next decision - whether or not to wrap my black roof with white vinyl. I drive through CA central valley to LA 2 -3 times a month. Last week it was over 100 degrees and I was definitely feeling the heat.

In my earlier post, I indicated that in my experience, the TJA was most beneficial in stop/go traffic and not that great in faster traffic. Having travelled yesterday to another city, I think that is a function of the lines in the city where I live. I was pleasantly surprised how well TJA assist did (no cut outs) with better lane markings

Now on to the next decision - whether or not to wrap my black roof with white vinyl. I drive through CA central valley to LA 2 -3 times a month. Last week it was over 100 degrees and I was definitely feeling the heat.
Just do it! In 2022, I wrapped the roof of our 2019 i3 in a light gray metallic vinyl film that matches the color of the decals above the doors pretty well. It's light enough in color that it reflects solar IR radiation enough to keep the cabin cooler. I'm trying to have the roof of our 2021 i3 wrapped in a similar color, but I might have to special order it.

I bought a module from a different supplier but I am too chicken to do the programming now, Will premium retrofit just do the programming?
I'm gonna guess no. I doubt they'd want to be on the hook for bricking your car and purchasing from another vendor removes the profit for them. Like if you took parts to a BMW dealer and asked them to do the labor to install.

I'm totally comfortable with doing BimmerCode mods, both regular and advanced. But I'd never touch the TJA programming.

If I were in your shoes, I'd purchase from PremiumRetrofit and sell the module you got from a different supplier on eBay.

I can do it, only most modules on the market cause problems with the i3. (the autopark function does not work, the traffic jam assist system throws a random error) I don't want you to blame me for this, that the coding is bad. If you accept this, I can accept it, write a pm!

Back