ROOF TRIM

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IAN1000

Hello All

Cleaning my i3 last week I noticed that the thin rubber strip above the driver's door (roof) has started coming away. Can anyone recommend the best solution - i.e., the most suitable glue?

Many thanks - Ian

Are you by any chance still under warranty? I just had this issue on my non sun roof ‘20 i3. Since the car was about 3.5 years from in service date, it was replaced under warranty.

Are you by any chance still under warranty? I just had this issue on my non sun roof ‘20 i3. Since the car was about 3.5 years from in service date, it was replaced under warranty.
Regrettably no.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and glue the offending bit of rubber this weekend although I can't help feeling this is i3 sacrilege.

I'll let you know how I get on (or not if I end up with the largest Airfix kit disaster ever) 🤔

Regrettably no.

I think I'm going to bite the bullet and glue the offending bit of rubber this weekend although I can't help feeling this is i3 sacrilege.

I'll let you know how I get on (or not if I end up with the largest Airfix kit disaster ever) 🤔
it's for aesthetics and doesn't seal anything. The A-pillar would need to come off in order to replace it and if you've watched any videos on front windshield removal you'll know it's not easy. I would not remove the trim just to replace the gasket.

I just did that repair today. I used Permatex 81852 super weatherstrip adhesive (black). I used it to repair my driver’s side door gasket ( the rubber foam gasket that goes around the door frame) that was split due to years of rubbing by driver’s foot and door when getting in and out. Follow directions for use, i.e., wait 10 minutes for solvent to evaporate before sticking parts together. My roof trim was missing the tip, so I had to apply a little glue to the trim under the plastic panel with a toothpick. You will get some of the stuff on the paint. But it is probably ok. See photos of the results.

Attachments

• IMG_9319.jpeg
    IMG_9319.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9317.jpeg
    IMG_9317.jpeg
    702.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back