REX motor running while charging

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregM

I typically charge at home in my garage. Plug in at night and ready to go the next day. This time when I checked in the morning, the motor was running. Everything was warm and hot. I disconnected and everything seems to be normal since. Have I missed something with home charging. This is my 3rd I-3 and never experienced that.

Are you sure that you weren't hearing the A/C compressor which would turn on to cool the battery pack when needed? If the REx engine was running while charging, something's broken. It shouldn't run while parked because it could result in CO poisoning if parked in a closed garage.

You are correct. That would be extremely dangerous. I just remember it was loud and a lot of heat. I’ve never heard the compressor running while charging or in the garage which probably amplified the sound. I wasn’t aware that it would cool the battery also. The I-3 is an amazing little car. I’ll pay more attention if it happens again.

You are correct. That would be extremely dangerous. I just remember it was loud and a lot of heat. I’ve never heard the compressor running while charging or in the garage which probably amplified the sound. I wasn’t aware that it would cool the battery also. The I-3 is an amazing little car. I’ll pay more attention if it happens again.
The A/C heat exchanger is behind the grill beneath the front bumper. Heat would be expelled from this heat exchanger into the surrounding air by a fan, so you might feel an enclosed space becoming warmer.

Are you sure that you weren't hearing the A/C compressor which would turn on to cool the battery pack when needed? If the REx engine was running while charging, something's broken. It shouldn't run while parked because it could result in CO poisoning if parked in a closed garage.
Thanks for the responses. You’ve explained it all very well. It was very warm when this was happening

Back