Question on coding Rex to turn on below 75% battery level.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kash Bagal

I have had my BMW i3 for 6 years and when I got it, I coded it to enable me to turn on the Rex below 75% battery level using the BimmerCode App along with many other parameters. Then a few year later, I contacted Defined Coding in Britain and purchased software to install Apple CarPlay. Everything was working fine until last month. When I took the car into the dealership for the annual checkup, they informed me there was a Recall on the VIN. I approved the work, and when it was finished, they had reset the whole software and I had lost all of the customization, and Apple CarPlay. Before doing the customization coding through BimmerCode, I contacted Defined Coding again, and reinstalled CarPlay (for a fee of course). I then started the customization coding, and I was able to do all of the previous customization except for the HeadUnit portion which included the ability to turn on the Rex below 75%. When I attempted to go into the Headunit customization, I got the error "could not access Headunit because it is not in its original state". Previously I had done the Coding first then installed Apple CarPlay. I really need the ability to turn on the Rex below 75% but I don't know how to do that.
Has anyone run into this problem and resolved it? Any suggestions? I have gone into the profile and deleted them but no luck. I have also attempted to reset the software by pressing the Volume button for 70 seconds - no luck there either.
Thank you.

I wish I had an answer for you but I don't. I've also done the coding but I did it after they performed the latest software update and I haven't had it back in for anything since.

Can I ask what the recall was for?

Edit: Also is it possible the Apple carplay coding has interfered in some way?

So I looked on my invoice when I took the car in for other work, and unfortunately the recall reason is not listed on the invoice. It was corrected for free of course.

Regarding my issue above, upon advice from Defined Coding, I reran the software application to reset the headunit back to the original state. This allowed me to code the headunit to enable me to turn on the Rex below 75% battery level and hold the state of charge using the BimmerCode app. However, when I ran the Defined Coding software again, I am not able to install Apple CarPlay even though this option is displayed when I reconnect my phone.

Defined Coding informed me as follows: "this problem occurs due to the fact that bimmercode cannot interact with a BMW NBTevo once CarPlay is retrofitted as the mobile application cannot read the files once the FSC’s have been enabled."

So I looked on my invoice when I took the car in for other work, and unfortunately the recall reason is not listed on the invoice. It was corrected for free of course.

Regarding my issue above, upon advice from Defined Coding, I reran the software application to reset the headunit back to the original state. This allowed me to code the headunit to enable me to turn on the Rex below 75% battery level and hold the state of charge using the BimmerCode app. However, when I ran the Defined Coding software again, I am not able to install Apple CarPlay even though this option is displayed when I reconnect my phone.

Defined Coding informed me as follows: "this problem occurs due to the fact that bimmercode cannot interact with a BMW NBTevo once CarPlay is retrofitted as the mobile application cannot read the files once the FSC’s have been enabled."
That's got to be so frustrating. Especially since it was working before. I mean that explains why you need to set up the hold state of charge option first but it doesn't really explain why carplay wouldn't work afterwards.

Right. However at the time, I needed the "Hold state of charge" more than CarPlay as I was going on a 600km trip. Now that I am back, I will be contacting Defined Coding again to make it work. He (Kyle) has been pretty good about working with me (given the 5 hour time difference between London and Ottawa).

It must be noted though that it is only the headunit that is affected. You can code all of the other modules/groupings such as Advanced Crash Safety Module, Body Domain Controller, Instrument Cluster, etc after you have installed CarPlay. So if you need to, you can run BimmerCode and make changes to all other modules after installing CarPlay.

Hope that helps.

Right. However at the time, I needed the "Hold state of charge" more than CarPlay as I was going on a 600km trip. Now that I am back, I will be contacting Defined Coding again to make it work. He (Kyle) has been pretty good about working with me (given the 5 hour time difference between London and Ottawa).

It must be noted though that it is only the headunit that is affected. You can code all of the other modules/groupings such as Advanced Crash Safety Module, Body Domain Controller, Instrument Cluster, etc after you have installed CarPlay. So if you need to, you can run BimmerCode and make changes to all other modules after installing CarPlay.

Hope that helps.
How do you implement the "Hold State Of Charge" function? I downloaded the BimmerCode app to my phone, and it says I need an OBD adaptor (which I plan to buy). What else is needed? Thanks in advance!

How do you implement the "Hold State Of Charge" function? I downloaded the BimmerCode app to my phone, and it says I need an OBD adaptor (which I plan to buy). What else is needed? Thanks in advance!
Those are the only 2 things you need, but just "downloading" the app is not going to help you. You also need to pay for it if you have not already or it will just be in "demo" mode.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XVQMVS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I used this OBD adapter, and you'll need to pay the $40 or whatever for the full version of Bimmercode. There are a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube for the process, but it's really just a matter of enabling the option in the menu. The only other really important thing is to make sure your phone is in airplane mode so nothing can interfere with the coding process until it's completed.

Veepeak OBDCheck BLE+ Bluetooth... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076XVQMVS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
I used this OBD adapter, and you'll need to pay the $40 or whatever for the full version of Bimmercode. There are a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube for the process, but it's really just a matter of enabling the option in the menu. The only other really important thing is to make sure your phone is in airplane mode so nothing can interfere with the coding process until it's completed.
I appreciate the link to the Amazon-offered OBD plug. I just ordered one with free shipping. As soon as it arrives, I'll pay for the app and go hook it up. I'll report in this space when done. Thanks!

Great. The "Hold State of Charge" is the best thing you can do with a Rex. Normally the Rex will only turn on when you have 6% of charge left. However if you have such a low charge left, and have still a long way to go before you get to a charger, depending on the where you are driving (ie over hills) the Rex may not be able to maintain the charge and you may get down to 5%, 4% or even lower. That is not a good feeling. With the "Hold State of Charge", you can turn on the Rex as soon as you get below 75%.
On long trips on highways, I immediately turn on the Rex when I am below 75%, and fill up almost every gas station I hit. This allows me to maintain a high speed on my trip. Usually by the time I reach my destination, my charge level is down to 55% - so I still lose 20% but I have been able to maintain my speed with the surrounding traffic.
I never use the Rex in the city but it is such a great feature on long trips.

Great. The "Hold State of Charge" is the best thing you can do with a Rex. Normally the Rex will only turn on when you have 6% of charge left. However if you have such a low charge left, and have still a long way to go before you get to a charger, depending on the where you are driving (ie over hills) the Rex may not be able to maintain the charge and you may get down to 5%, 4% or even lower. That is not a good feeling. With the "Hold State of Charge", you can turn on the Rex as soon as you get below 75%.
On long trips on highways, I immediately turn on the Rex when I am below 75%, and fill up almost every gas station I hit. This allows me to maintain a high speed on my trip. Usually by the time I reach my destination, my charge level is down to 55% - so I still lose 20% but I have been able to maintain my speed with the surrounding traffic.
I never use the Rex in the city but it is such a great feature on long trips.
I found the "Hold State Of Charge" function in the Settings menu last night, and set it "ON". This morning I checked before driving off, and it was not only turned OFF but now is "grayed out" and won't let me turn it back on. It says "see Owner's Manual for information" but neither the book nor the digital manual gives me anything about this. In reading your post, I just realized that my battery may be above 75% and that may be why I can't set it to hold a state of charge. I'll try that next.

Question: Did you charge the car last night? If you did you were probably at 100% this morning. It will automatically be available (ie ungreyed) when you have 74% charge left. This is the reason I never use it in town because each morning I am at 100% charge and no need to use it during the day.

Also it seems you have purchased a used i3, and it seems that the previous owner had already enabled that feature. As I said, it is probably the first thing most i3 Rex owners do when they get their cars. Prior to enabling this feature, you would not even see this feature (Rex extender) in the "Vehicle" menu.

If you use this feature without coding (possibly European only?), i.e. you can turn it on below 75%, then you can set the function against one of your 'memory' buttons. Once activated press and hold your preferred memory button to save the function. Then you have a single button on/off function without having to go through a menu. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating this if in doubt.

If you use this feature without coding (possibly European only?), i.e. you can turn it on below 75%, then you can set the function against one of your 'memory' buttons. Once activated press and hold your preferred memory button to save the function. Then you have a single button on/off function without having to go through a menu. Plenty of YouTube videos demonstrating this if in doubt.
Good point.

I found the "Hold State Of Charge" function in the Settings menu last night, and set it "ON". This morning I checked before driving off, and it was not only turned OFF but now is "grayed out" and won't let me turn it back on. It says "see Owner's Manual for information" but neither the book nor the digital manual gives me anything about this. In reading your post, I just realized that my battery may be above 75% and that may be why I can't set it to hold a state of charge. I'll try that next.
You have to set "hold state of charge" every time you fire up your i3 after it has been shut down. And. the 75% threshold will apply.

You have to set "hold state of charge" every time you fire up your i3 after it has been shut down. And. the 75% threshold will apply.
Sheesh! It's just like having to turn the automatic wipers on every time I get in the car, and the cruise control. In my last car, I just left those functions on when I turned the key off and they came right back on the next time I turned on the (non-electric) car. It's enough to almost make me believe BMW is making our lives less convenient on purpose.

Sheesh! It's just like having to turn the automatic wipers on every time I get in the car, and the cruise control. In my last car, I just left those functions on when I turned the key off and they came right back on the next time I turned on the (non-electric) car. It's enough to almost make me believe BMW is making our lives less convenient on purpose.
Then there's the "automatically sync clock" checkbox in the settings, which will only actually sync once, even though the box remains checked. When the clock has eventually drifted by a few minutes you gotta go back thru the menu and unclick and re-click the box to update the time.

I think German engineers are like that exceptionally frugal relative who follows you through the house switching off every light or device the moment you leave a room.

Losing all your codes when the dealer applies some recall is such a nuisance. I took mine in for the infamous power steering bug. (PS behaves strangely, but isn't dangerous because steering wheel is always mechanically connected to steering.) This is a BMW extended warranty item. While they were updating coding, they also fixed some bug with the moon roof. And of course, I lost my HSOC coding and had to have it redone. Fortunately, my coder has a lifetime warranty and redid it for free. I wouldn't have bought the car if I couldn't have fixed HSOC. Interesting that CarPlay is similar.

Back