Paint roof white ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A month ago I painted the roof of my 2021 i3 REx white, just as I did my 2015 i3. A body shop with carbon fiber experience (Vargas in New Orleans) did it.
My windows on both cars are tinted. The white vs black roof makes a significant difference in heat gain.

Carbon fiber is porous and needs a special coat to seal it. I have to wait a month before washing, waxing etc for this sealing coat to evaporate.

I would recommend a body shop with experience with painting carbon fiber.
I would appreciate any further details that you could provide. I'm surprised that the clear coat over the carbon fiber cloth would be porous since water isn't supposed to reach the carbon fiber. Did you have to wait a month after the sealant was applied before the roof could be painted? What sealant was used?

Shortly after buying our 2021 i3, our BMW dealer referred me to their 2 certified body shops to have the roof painted a light color. Neither body shop would do it, both claiming that painting CFRP wasn't approved by BMW. They didn't want to jeopardize their BMW certification by doing something not approved by BMW. Sheesh!

I sold our 2019 i3 with its light gray vinyl wrapped roof and have been trying, so far unsuccessfully, to have the roof of our 2021 i3 wrapped. The shop that installed the light gray vinyl 2 years ago is swamped with full vehicle wrap jobs and won't wrap the roof unless I choose a vinyl film that he has in stock. None of the colors that he has are appropriate. He referred me to a different shop.

This shop is down on vinyl film which they claim is poorer quality and thinner, almost translucent, than before the pandemic, even the big brands 3M and Avery. They claim that the adhesives used now are lower quality as well. He told me that removing degraded vinyl film on horizontal surfaces now can cost as much as installing it due to the difficulty in removing it and the paint damage that can occur (not a problem with our CFRP roof). He is advocating painting the roof instead, but he doesn't have experience painting CFRP. He told me that he would discuss this with his paint supplier and with others who are more familiar with painting CFRP.

I never imagined that this would be so difficult. Your experience gives me hope.

A month ago I painted the roof of my 2021 i3 REx white, just as I did my 2015 i3. A body shop with carbon fiber experience (Vargas in New Orleans) did it.
My windows on both cars are tinted. The white vs black roof makes a significant difference in heat gain.

Carbon fiber is porous and needs a special coat to seal it. I have to wait a month before washing, waxing etc for this sealing coat to evaporate.

I would recommend a body shop with experience with painting carbon fiber.
Both

Both of my i3s (2015 & 2021) are white. The roof was painted in “BMW white”, a shade BMW had used for over half a century. Good match with body color.

Back