Negative US Reviews

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toystwo

Both the R&T and MotorTrend first drive reviews are fairly negative (C&D is quite positive) as it relates to the driving feel or experience. The European reviews are more favorable but they don't seem to be making the same kind of comparisons (e.g., does it feel like a BMW). US car mags are typically not overly critical in first drive reviews. If a car is to be criticized it typically occurs in the full review or comparison testing.

toystwo said:
Both the R&T and MotorTrend first drive reviews are fairly negative (C&D is quite positive) as it relates to the driving feel or experience. The European reviews are more favorable but they don't seem to be making the same kind of comparisons (e.g., does it feel like a BMW). US car mags are typically not overly critical in first drive reviews. If a car is to be criticized it typically occurs in the full review or comparison testing.

Maybe why European deliveries have been delayed whilst they fine tune some of the software? Also very few cars available for dealers at launch for test drives and no Rex. Tom wondering what you are hearing via your contacts ??

I do not think the i3 will be well received by most US auto journalists. They all seem to be expecting BMW M series handling and looks. How the target audience sees the car may be different. I suspect that most buyers of the i3 will be new to BMW. I have never owned one. I did come close to buying an X3 but could never agree on price with the dealer.

I think it all boils down to the REx in the US. Our cities are larger and more spread out. The REx gives an advantage over the Leaf. If the REx cannot be engaged until the batteries are flat it will affect performance and will hurt sales. The regs in CA state that the REx "cannot be engaged until the batteries are depleted". So, in my opinion the success or failure of the i3 in the us boils down to the interpretation of depleted. If it can kick in at 20-30% of EV range then there is little performance limitations. However it is truly means depleted. It will not sell well in my opinion due to poor performance when it kicks in.

Are you referring to this article on R&T: http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/bmw-i3-road-test?click=main_sr and this on Motortrend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/alternative/1310_2014_bmw_i3_edrive_second_drive/ ?
I am all for 'freedom of speech' and I, for myself, am absolutely sure that BMW didn't get 100% right, but both articles seem strangely biased and information-starved if I may offer my opinion.

And come an man, describing the venue as "the congested, bicycle-clogged, 7-million-strong megalopolis of Amsterdam" and R&T trying "to sling the rear end".. What is that all about ?

Greetings from the Netherlands. home of the i3 :)

PS: as we have already noticed, the i3 will be quite a divider of people....

Yes, and complaining that there weren't any 'unimpeded S-curves' ? There are dozens of Amsterdam i3 reviews online now and plenty of them took the effort to get out of town and go drive it on faster roads. This lot couldn't be bothered and then they moan about the handling and state that apparently you have to do all of your braking before turning into a corner. Laughable really.

Pic from a better 'Amsterdam' i3 review. Seems quite S-curvey to me :)

10488446016_8c555a7891_b.jpg

I urge anyone interested in the i3 to get in one and do an extended test drive yourself. Soon there will be enough production i3's available and BMW will set up test drive events and dealers will also be getting them for showroom display and test drives.

I believe the vast majority of people that drive one is going to be very happy with the driving experience. But don't take my word for it any more than listening to the journalists. Be your own judge! :D

Stevei3 said:

I was actually referring to this older R&T driving impression (I hadn't seen the one you posted):

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-reviews/road-tests/performance-tests-road-tests-bmw-i3-65-3-roa1013

And that is the MT review I was referencing.

TomMoloughney said:
I urge anyone interested in the i3 to get in one and do an extended test drive yourself. Soon there will be enough production i3's available and BMW will set up test drive events and dealers will also be getting them for showroom display :D

Tom, do you know when the dealers will be doing test drives in the US? When I go to the sign-up to be notified for test drive, USA is not in the drop down menu.

toystwo said:
TomMoloughney said:
I urge anyone interested in the i3 to get in one and do an extended test drive yourself. Soon there will be enough production i3's available and BMW will set up test drive events and dealers will also be getting them for showroom display :D

Tom, do you know when the dealers will be doing test drives in the US? When I go to the sign-up to be notified for test drive, USA is not in the drop down menu.

The US test drives start in a couple weeks at the LA Auto Show. They will have something like 50 or 60 i3's there because they know test drives will be very popular.

BMW is just now getting production i3's delivered to the US. All of the cars here previously here were pre-production and only BMW employees could drive them. I don't have any information on how the cars will be distributed after the LA auto show but I imagine many of them will begin to filter to local dealers for demonstration and test drives and I'm also sure another wave of cars will arrive to add to the fleet here. Then the Detroit Auto Show is in January and I would expect BMW to have dozens of them there for driving events also.

My guess is that it won't be till well after the holidays that there is enough of them here to really have them in most major markets for test drives unfortunately though. I would imagine the majority of cars built now are for customers in Europe that ordered them and deliveries are expected to begin in a couple weeks now. US spec cars will probably not be the highest priority at the moment.

I will post any information I get on this here though.

Sranger said:
But I WANT A TEST DRIVE NOW!!!! :D

Sorry, I have not been this excited about a new car model since the Tesla Model S....

No problem. Buy a ticket to LA and you can drive one in 17 days. I'll be there so look me up! :D

Latest posts

Back