Motor defect

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it known whether a 2018+ motor is a bolt-in replacement, or are there plug differences or coding changes needed?

are the motors the same between REX and BEV just with different mounts or does the application need to match?

Someone here in the forum did the bearing replacement. Said that it is not an easy job but possible. I try to find the link. The bearings he used were
60062RZ Deep Groove Ball Bearing - SKF
6306-2RZ/C3GJN30x72x19mm SKF Deep Groove Ball Bearing
where the 6306 was the faulty one on his e machine. From my 40y experience working on helicopters (where you find the one or other bearing, too) an electric motor of which size ever is no rocket science. But it is absolutely necessary that you have the correct extraction an insertion tool for each and every bearing. If you could get the repair manual would be the best, if (most probably) not I personally would do it in "reverse engineering". Which means to note and picture each single step you take, even with e. g. marking the position of a bolt before loosening it and then retorquing it to the same position, to find its value of torque for the reassembly. In any case for a motor where they want approx. 5000 Euros from you, and a set of bearings for approx. 50 Euros, it's worth giving the job a try.

Back