Monitoring battery SOC after 3G shutdown.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a 2017 I3 Rex 94ah in Australia. The 3G network recently shut down here and we have lost all remote features including monitoring the battery SOC outside the car.

I have bought a OdbLink CX hoping I would be able monitor SOC from nearby with the car charging in the driveway, as I could before via the 3G network..

I am using the free version of the Bimmercode Android app and it appears to be connecting and can see several "ECUs", but none of them appear to report SOC.

Can anyone advise whether ODB can report SOC, and if so, how?
TIA.

Richard.

Can anyone advise whether ODB can report SOC, and if so, how?
Fortunately, the OBD port in an i3 connects to several data busses that carry data other than the standard OBD data which I doubt includes SOC. Install the Android "electrified" app which knows how to poll these data busses for all sorts of data including SOC. As long as your phone can connect to your ObdLink CX, you should be able to read the SOC. Unfortunately, the ObdLink CX appears to use Bluetooth rather than WiFi to connect a smartphone, so its range would likely be so limited that you might as well read the SOC on your i3's instrument panel. Still, it would be worth trying.

Fortunately, the OBD port in an i3 connects to several data busses that carry data other than the standard OBD data which I doubt includes SOC. Install the Android "electrified" app which knows how to poll these data busses for all sorts of data including SOC. As long as your phone can connect to your ObdLink CX, you should be able to read the SOC. Unfortunately, the ObdLink CX appears to use Bluetooth rather than WiFi to connect a smartphone, so its range would likely be so limited that you might as well read the SOC on your i3's instrument panel. Still, it would be worth trying.
Thanks for the tip. I do also have a Wifi ODB2 (Vgate Icar2), but couldn't get that to connect with "Bimmercode". Perhaps I'll try that with "Electrified".

Using Electrified with OdbLink CX, it lists the adaptor as an available interface, but I get the following error;
"ODB2 interfac not in range of switched off!"
But Bimmercode can connect fine. I tried explicitly disconnecting from Bimmercode, but Electrified still couldn't connect. Any ideas?

I also tried using "Electrified" with the Vgate Icar2 (Wifi), but it looks like Electrified only recognises Bluetooth devices. I had the Icar2 connected (Vlink) to my phone Wifi, but Electrified didn't seem to see it... Any advice would be appreciated...

I thought virtually all 2017's were 4G. Perhaps that's just the US market.
That's what I think, too. My 2017 was a July 11 2016 build and had 4G. That was right at the beginning of production, and corresponded with the changeover of the BMW parts diagrams.

That's what I think, too. My 2017 was a July 11 2016 build and had 4G. That was right at the beginning of production, and corresponded with the changeover of the BMW parts diagrams.
I have a 2017 BMW i3 REX and use a paid license of Bimmercode.
How can I check if my WiFi is 3G or 4G?
Thanks

I have a 2017 BMW i3 REX and use a paid license of Bimmercode.
How can I check if my WiFi is 3G or 4G?
Thanks
Hi on the tcb under the rear seat it as a label printed on it and should say 4g which means it has a 4g esim, later models from about 18/19 with ID5 or ID6 have an ATM which will be 4g instead.of a tcb the label is quite difficult to see maybe try your phone down the side and take a photo of the label

Well unfortunate for us the center screen tag is unreliable and defaults to "3G,' I did what @Oldsparks suggested in the reply above mine: I lifted the rear seat and struck my phone down there to record an image of the label.

Note the US 4G on my label, so yes it appears region dependent. Also note the "23." I have no idea what that refers to (looks like a date code). I shot this image in my July 2016 built model year '17 (94Ah) in December 2020.

Screenshot_20240713-133157~2.png

Last edited:
It probably is region dependent. Ours was purchased new in November 2016 in Australia. It was called 2017 (94ah) model. It is most certainly 3G only. Since the recent 3G shutdown it has gone completely "dark". BMW are taking plenty of flack over the problem but offer no solution. There is no BMW authorised upgrade path. If anyone knows of another solution or workaround, please let me know. I would like to be able to monitor SOC at least while charging in the driveway.

I haven't been able to get the "Electrified" app working with either "Vgate Icar 2" or "OBDlink CX" adaptors. Maybe I need to purchase the one "Electrified" recommends?

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. Looks like a great upgrade to replace the original 3G functionality. I don't know whether they have BMW I3 support.... Does anyone know?
I looked at the openvehicles.com website, and it does claim to support the i3 for all model years. But when I checked the website of their US distributor, it didn't appear that they carried that version. At least not for a web order. I didn't go so far as to call or email them -- they appear to be focused on Tesla stuff. That doesn't look promising.

The reseller serving Europe (Open Energy Monitor Shop) appears to be based in Wales -- and they've got the excessive "Y"s in the address info to prove it. It looks like they carry the full line of Open Vehicle Systems products and they imply they ship worldwide.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. Looks like a great upgrade to replace the original 3G functionality. I don't know whether they have BMW I3 support.... Does anyone know?
I just recently installed OVMS into my bmw i3. It is limited to updating SoC about every half hour during AC charging. The i3 goes to sleep during AC charging. However during Fast DC charging it updates SoC about every 3 seconds. It does not have graphics for a BMW i3. Yet.
It cannot send any commands like lock doors etc. I had to upgrade my battery to lifepo4 due to the OVMS flattening my 12v battery overnight.IMG_2836.png

Last edited:
Flattening Battery overnight seems like a serious problem. I read the "OVMS BMW I3" project notes and he (or she) does allude to slightly excessive power consumption. But he says you should disconnect if leaving the car for several days. If it is literally flattening the 20 amp hour standard battery, that seems way too much power drain. I might try to contact the project author to see whether he has any options to improve this...

Back