[i3 BEV] Drivetrain error

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbigmo

Hello from Pacific Northwest, dear BMW i3 owners,
I am happy to join this group. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance and expertise. Recently, I purchased a 2015 BMW i3 BEV from Copart. Unfortunately, I am facing some challenges with the vehicle – it neither moves nor charges.
Here's what I have tried so far:
- Replaced the 12v battery.
- Checked all fuses for any issues.
- Inspected the wired connector under the car between the EME and the high-voltage battery.
- Check isolation with tester for all cables from EME. All shows >4000MOhm, only line to EKK show 50 MOhm

Attempted to clear errors using ISTA; however, I'm still left with several persistent errors:
222636 EME: internal fault (high-voltage safety function)
222816 High-voltage power management: High-voltage interlock loop, circuit interrupted
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222C06 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Short-circuit/open circuit
222C07 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Not plausible
8011CD Air conditioning control box: Incorrect version installed

Given these specific error codes and the actions I've already taken, I would deeply appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to help resolve these issues. Has anyone encountered similar problems, and if so, how were they addressed?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!

Not an expert, but was this vehicle in a crash? The high voltage connection to the traction battery may have been disabled as a safety feature immediately after a crash. You may have to visit an independent BMW repair shop and ask them for help diagnosing the error codes... they MIGHT have the proper computer software... just a guess.

Well the car was "totaled" by insurance for a reason. That's why it was for sale at Copart. If it was a simple fix, someone might have done it and it would not be for sale at Copart. If there is no crash damage, it could have been submerged in water or who knows.

Not an expert, but was this vehicle in a crash? The high voltage connection to the traction battery may have been disabled as a safety feature immediately after a crash. You may have to visit an independent BMW repair shop and ask them for help diagnosing the error codes... they MIGHT have the proper computer software... just a guess.
It might even be more involved than that. The 12 V safety battery terminal might have fired during a collision which I believe would prevent the HV battery pack from connecting to the HV circuit. In this case, I believe that the safety battery terminal would have to be replaced.

If the safety box in the battery pack housing is preventing its HV contactors from closing, I believe that the battery pack would have to be dropped and its housing opened to replace the safety box. An expensive EoS tester would be needed to complete the repair.

Hello from Pacific Northwest, dear BMW i3 owners,
I am happy to join this group. I am reaching out to this knowledgeable community for some guidance and expertise. Recently, I purchased a 2015 BMW i3 BEV from Copart. Unfortunately, I am facing some challenges with the vehicle – it neither moves nor charges.
Here's what I have tried so far:
- Replaced the 12v battery.
- Checked all fuses for any issues.
- Inspected the wired connector under the car between the EME and the high-voltage battery.
- Check isolation with tester for all cables from EME. All shows >4000MOhm, only line to EKK show 50 MOhm

Attempted to clear errors using ISTA; however, I'm still left with several persistent errors:
222636 EME: internal fault (high-voltage safety function)
222816 High-voltage power management: High-voltage interlock loop, circuit interrupted
22281C High-voltage power management: High-voltage system not started in spite of request
222C06 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Short-circuit/open circuit
222C07 EME, high-voltage interlock loop, signal: Not plausible
8011CD Air conditioning control box: Incorrect version installed

Given these specific error codes and the actions I've already taken, I would deeply appreciate any advice or suggestions you might have to help resolve these issues. Has anyone encountered similar problems, and if so, how were they addressed?

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance!
Hi there. I'm no expert either but I can tell you a story about our i3 which threw up a Drivetrain error, amongst other things, after performing a relatively high speed overtake. It took an age to discover the problem, with lots of things replaced, but the garage eventually discovered that water was getting into the cavities within the body shell, filling up (there were audible sloshing sounds) and, as there are no low level drainage points, it exited half way up the rear seat bulkhead, where it affected the electronics. Reading online forums it appears this issue tends to cause all kinds of errors, making it difficult to identify the actual problem. After 4 months in the garage and totally stripped down, it came down to something as simple as the rear boot seal. I believe the water build-up is a design flaw and that drainage holes have to be drilled into the bodywork (cills) for the water to drain out fully. Potential water ingress into the body shell might therefore be something to explore?

Hi there. I'm no expert either but I can tell you a story about our i3 which threw up a Drivetrain error, amongst other things, after performing a relatively high speed overtake. It took an age to discover the problem, with lots of things replaced, but the garage eventually discovered that water was getting into the cavities within the body shell, filling up (there were audible sloshing sounds) and, as there are no low level drainage points, it exited half way up the rear seat bulkhead, where it affected the electronics. Reading online forums it appears this issue tends to cause all kinds of errors, making it difficult to identify the actual problem. After 4 months in the garage and totally stripped down, it came down to something as simple as the rear boot seal. I believe the water build-up is a design flaw and that drainage holes have to be drilled into the bodywork (cills) for the water to drain out fully. Potential water ingress into the body shell might therefore be something to explore?
So the worn trunk rubber seal caused water getting in? Also did the shop end up replacing the seal?

So the worn trunk rubber seal caused water getting in? Also did the shop end up replacing the seal?
Yes, it took a long time and a lot of testing to find that out though. I've attached an image of what the car looked like. They replaced the seal, amongst other things, whilst trying to ascertain where the leak was coming from. It was under an extended warranty thankfully.

Attachments

• PXL_20230113_094241062.jpg
    PXL_20230113_094241062.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 6
Hay bud im in the exact same situation. 2016 i3 from copat. Changed 12 v it came alive but would not function. Neutrall flashing. Was in minor crash. What did u do?

Sometimes it's as simple as making sure your hatchback is securely closed. I once got a drive train error, and all I had to do was more forcefully close the hatchback.

Hello from Tunisia!

I am facing a similar issue with a 2020 model i3 fully electric BEV. The car is still quite young any only has 46,000 KM. I got the dreaded "drivetrain error" one morning when starting the vehicle and could not engage the drive function. I did online research and began by replacing the 12volt battery. That took a ferry trip to Europe to get a battery and bring it back as I seem to have landed in a country where nobody stocks i3 parts and shipping with a service like DHL takes months due to customs "issues." I installed and registered the new 12v battery with BimmerLINK and attempted to clear error codes. No joy unfortunately... The error codes I continue receive are below. Any ideas on how to proceed with a sensible test plan? My next effort will be to troubleshoot the fuses and see if one is blown but maybe this is not the best idea. I am ready and willing to try just about anything!

I am in a bit of a difficult situation as the local authorized BMW dealership is refusing to service the car as they don't have any experience with the i3. In fact, I am pretty sure that this is the only i3 in all of Tunisia :(. The car is a bit special in a sentimental sense and I am trying to save her. I originally bought the car in Kyiv Ukraine when I was stationed there prior to the war. During the war we managed to evacuate the car buy activating remaining functional public chargers along the route west from Kyiv to the Polish border. Since then it has been driven across Europe from east to west and then from north to south when I was reposted to Tunis and brought the car on a ferry from Italy. It's been a real electric mobility "adventure" and I am trying to stay positive as the little car has done more than I could ever have asked of her.

Any advice will be sincerely appreciated!

With best regards, Dominic

Error memory

Date: 24/6/2024, 13:22

07 Battery management electronics​

8 errors

21F0C1: HVS: CSC function: LTC6801 self-test failed

21F0EE: HVS: Cell voltage measurement - one or more cell voltages failed 21F0F6: HVS: plausibility of voltage sensors CSC 4 - voltage implausible 21F13D: Deactivation of the main switch after an error
21F153: HVS: safety concept, level 2: shutdown detected

21F148: HVS: safety concept, level 2: voltage too low / high or unknown 21F15C: SME: Safety concept - shutdown by level 2
21F284: Pull cord pulled by CSC

12 Electrical Digital Motor Electronics​

2 errors

21E705: Cyclical reloading could not be carried out successfully.

21E96F: Readiness to drive cannot be established according to driver request

1A Electrical machine electronics​

8 errors
22281C: HV power management: no HV release despite requirement 222834: Charge management: CC message 804, charging not possible

222842: Charge management: charge failure

2228B8: Emergency run manager: follow-up error, DME reports error. Driver actuates SST and does not get ready to drive FIS_BMW_NO_DRV_RDY_DRVR_WISH

2228C1: HV power management: SLE error precharge

22285F: Emergency run manager: consequential error; Component reports HV battery error: Slow opening of the contactors FIS_BMW_SME_KAT6

222860: Emergency run manager: consequential error; Component reports high-voltage battery error: The contactors FIS_BMW_SME_KAT7 open quickly

2228DB: Emergency run manager: Low remaining range Range of small threshold and driver stops the vehicle FIS_BMW_SOCMIN_KL15

40 Body Domain Controller​

4 errors

804080: Ignition on: startability endangered 8040B7: Deactivation of terminal 15: OSFG reached

8040BB: Kl30B active: start capability limit reached or Kl. 30B active for a long time 8040BD: Terminal 30F reset or shutdown

8040BB: Kl30B active: start capability limit reached or Kl. 30B active for a long time

8040BD: Terminal 30F reset or shutdown

Back