How about going to a totally different rim size?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Map40

I am tired of fighting the tire size problem, so what about just going to a 16 inch rim?
16-inch-rims-i3.jpg
A 16 inch aluminum rim (16x6.5 - 5x112) is $150, and then you have a ton of different tires to pick. I know, the looks won't be the same, but will it drive good enough? Anything I am missing?

Many i3 owners have tried to find smaller diameter wheels that would allow more popular tires to be installed. One of the problems that seems to limit the wheel size to maybe 18" or greater is part of the rear suspension that interferes with smaller-diameter wheels. One could add thick spacers to push the wheels out, but then the tires would extend beyond the fenders. There's just not much room within i3 fenders which means that there's more interior space but that non-OEM wheels can be difficult to fit, especially on an i3 (an i3S is a bit easier).

take a look, may 17 inch?
Everything I've found said 19 or 20" due to interference with the suspension. Width is also a concern without the right offset. I've been looking off and on and I cannot find any easy solution to a cheaper square setup.

Maybe if you modified the suspension and/or brakes you could go smaller, but that's probably not worth it.

I have done some measurements on this. I know that 17" fit with plenty of space in the front but 18" and maybe some grinding of some mold flash is required in the rear.

I checked the brakes, it would be difficult to clear anything smaller than an 18 inch rim

The brakes don't seem like the issue to me. Here is a 17" rim and there is inches of room in the front. The other pic is of it in the rear and how it does not clear the suspension. By the way, i only use the spare on the front.20230430_181222.jpg
20230514_182051.jpg

Thanks for the picture! I was reffering to the rear primarily, specially considering that forged rims a thicker than stamped steel rims. So if I want to keep the same size all around, gotta go with 18...

That spare is something like 4" wide. Add an inch to the width and you likely would have contact with the aluminum hub carrier. Most people just grind it a bit to fit 18s. I was not comfortable doing that with mine (and wanted fat rubber anyway), so I put 19x8 wheels and flares on.

That spare is something like 4" wide. Add an inch to the width and you likely would have contact with the aluminum hub carrier. Most people just grind it a bit to fit 18s. I was not comfortable doing that with mine (and wanted fat rubber anyway), so I put 19x8 wheels and flares on.
That was my point. It is too close for comfort on the rear. I had a rear flat on a trip and had to put the front tire on the rear to make it home. At least I didn't need a tow.

Back