Highest Mileage i3/REX?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my 13s with 8k on it about 3 years ago and have now put near 32k on it just driving around town I just replaced the rear tires. They were near bald at 8k when I bought it. My fronts look like they could go 35k or more. I do put a set of Bliazzaks on it in Dec and take them off in April so those tires are getting some wear too.
The Rex I have used on the highway to test it --it will run the car at at 56mph with a bit to spare and just break even on the flat at 65, but I have not been on any trips which used the Rex. With 32k I am getting on a warm day, say 65 degrees when it comes off the charger,about 175-178. It used to be as high as 186.

I bought my 13s with 8k on it about 3 years ago and have now put near 32k on it just driving around town I just replaced the rear tires. They were near bald at 8k when I bought it. My fronts look like they could go 35k or more. I do put a set of Bliazzaks on it in Dec and take them off in April so those tires are getting some wear too.
The Rex I have used on the highway to test it --it will run the car at at 56mph with a bit to spare and just break even on the flat at 65, but I have not been on any trips which used the Rex. With 32k I am getting on a warm day, say 65 degrees when it comes off the charger,about 175-178. It used to be as high as 186.
What model year?

We’ve had our Rex since new in 2017. It’s done 176,000 miles and we still absolutely love it. We recently had an issue where it stopped charging via a standard home charger but would still charge on rapid charger. After thorough and not inexpensive investigation it turned out to be the KLE, which we’ve just had replaced and it’s (touch wood) all good again. We know an old clever engineer who reckons that as long as you don’t use a rapid charger too often, the battery could keep going for decades. Our BMW dealer tried to tell us we’d need a new car after 3 years or expect significant battery deterioration but this car is so great, and so nice to drive, we’ll keep it going until it fully dies.

So great to see these stories of 200k+

We’ve had our Rex since new in 2017. It’s done 176,000 miles and we still absolutely love it. We recently had an issue where it stopped charging via a standard home charger but would still charge on rapid charger. After thorough and not inexpensive investigation it turned out to be the KLE, which we’ve just had replaced and it’s (touch wood) all good again. We know an old clever engineer who reckons that as long as you don’t use a rapid charger too often, the battery could keep going for decades. Our BMW dealer tried to tell us we’d need a new car after 3 years or expect significant battery deterioration but this car is so great, and so nice to drive, we’ll keep it going until it fully dies.

So great to see these stories of 200k+
Be interested in the KLE fix? Here in the UK the cost of that replacement includes the whole motor by the dealer and this leads to a 5 figure repair costs which are starting now to exceed the value of the vehicle - hence write off. I don’t know of any independent repairing the KLE but I believe it is a fuse or corrosion - anyone know a non dealer solution?

Be interested in the KLE fix? Here in the UK the cost of that replacement includes the whole motor by the dealer and this leads to a 5 figure repair costs which are starting now to exceed the value of the vehicle - hence write off. I don’t know of any independent repairing the KLE but I believe it is a fuse or corrosion - anyone know a non dealer solution?
Might you be confusing the KLE with the much more expensive EME? I'm surprised that a KLE replacement would require the motor to be replaced. Actually, why would the motor need to be replaced if the EME were replaced? There is at least one shop in the U.K. that repairs EME's for a fraction of the cost of a new EME.

We had an indie garage identify the problem, it took a while through research and process of elimination and that alone cost about £500 in labour. I then tried to get BMW to contribute as in Europe and the US there have been recalls for failed KLEs. After a morning of looking at it for free and me insisting I wouldn’t pay for additional diagnostics, they said it probably was the KLE but of course they wanted to charge £680 to continue to diagnose and confirm and it was unlikely to be covered by BMW. So we went back to the indie and it’s now good as new. It cost £2k but was worth it to keep the car going.

We actually had a number of issues with our original BMW dealer (who have since folded) who among other things cracked the windscreen while servicing it and tried to claim it was already there and tried to get us for a full set of tyres when two had been replaced just a week before. So we stopped going to BMW altogether. We used to use Cleevely EV who come out to your drive but we are now in Kent and now use German Vehicle Care, who we are pleased with so far.

Back