G20 steering wheel and heated steering wheel retrofit

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saltkjelen

Almost successfully retrofitted G20 steering wheel and heated option as well. I've been looking for retrofitting heating element in the OEM steering wheel for a while, but that was not a easy part. Therefore I considered about retrofitting the F30 steering wheel as that should be almost pretty plug and play, but I didn't like how it was integrated to the steering column itself. Therefore I had an idea about retrofitting G20 steering wheel as the center of the wheel was almost likely big as the i3 and it had the steering wheel heating button on it as well.

Well, I ordered parts and started the retrofit. I went for airbag from an ICE G20 as I got rid of the ugly blue surroundings around the BMW emblem. To be clear; the steering wheel itself is not plug and play and requires modifications to work with the car.

My car was not equipped with TJA (Traffic Jam Assist) and missed A83*4B socket in the SZL (this is the "optional" socket for cars with TJA, heated steering wheel etc.). Therefore I had to replace the SZL and coil spring and run some wires to the Power Distribution Box and BDC. As I'm going to retrofit soft close doors and passenger central door locking switch as well, I ran wires for these retrofit in the procedure.

Part 1 (to be continued)

IMG_0704.jpeg

IMG_0707.jpeg

IMG_0660.jpeg

IMG_0663.jpeg

IMG_0665.jpeg

IMG_0667.jpeg

IMG_0712.jpeg

IMG_0715.jpeg

IMG_0717.jpeg

IMG_0716.jpeg

And heated steering wheel are done. I haven't figured out how to get the steering wheel heated button working, so I went for the steering column switch instead for now. Have to see if I manage it to work or just replace the steering wheel cover with the one attached in photo.. :)

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

IMG_0749.jpeg

Skjermbilde 2024-07-15 kl. 15.42.52.png

Really cool project! I ended up here when searching on the web for 'i3 heated steering wheel' as I believe that is one massive oversight from BMW. They should have introduced that on the 2018 refresh.

This is most definitely not a plug-and-play type of project though! Congrats with the successful outcome.

Really cool project! I ended up here when searching on the web for 'i3 heated steering wheel' as I believe that is one massive oversight from BMW. They should have introduced that on the 2018 refresh.

This is most definitely not a plug-and-play type of project though! Congrats with the successful outcome.
Thanks. I agree. BMW should have added the heated steering wheel option due to its LCI, but the heating steering wheel option itself is actually quite easy to retrofit if you choose the F-series steering wheel. There is no additional wiring needed if you have TJA from the factory, just heating switch, new steering wheel (and airbag) and coding.

Back