Experiences on long trips ?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own a 2014 REX upgraded with 120 battery. One trick is the 10L NATO canister (e.g https://www.amazon.com/Wavian-USA-JC0010RVS-Authentic-System/dp/B00VVFTEV4/?th=1) that fits in the frunk. So one first drives using all REX fuel, then at some point stops at a gas station, filling up the REX and also this canister (fill only up to 8.5L), and resume travel with less than 5minutes of stopping using REX again, and then almost all battery, getting to a fast-charger in a place with decent lunch (here you have to creatively plan in advance). Before leaving, fill up the REX from the canister. This will get me 750km with a single charging stop, and with a second fuel stop at the end to 850km.

I forgot to mention at 65 mph the car fully maintains the battery state of charge under REx. At 70 mph it depends on altitude changes, winds, air conditioning, and rain. At 75 mph in +90F/+32C using AC, my car loses 20% of charge with each 32 MPG tank.

Bob Wilson
I joined not because I have an i3 yet but I am very close to buying one. This type of thing has me very concerned as at those speeds in Ontario, Canada you are a hazard on the highway. No one drives that slow. Fine for my normal commute but for the few times I go camping up north I am worried the vehicle won't work out well at all. Average highway speed here is more like 75 mph.

I joined not because I have an i3 yet but I am very close to buying one. This type of thing has me very concerned as at those speeds in Ontario, Canada you are a hazard on the highway. No one drives that slow. Fine for my normal commute but for the few times I go camping up north I am worried the vehicle won't work out well at all. Average highway speed here is more like 75 mph.
If you're planning to drive 75 mph or higher, turn on your REx engine manually at a significant charge level. Even if the charge level decreased by 20%, you would not run out of charge if you turned on the REx engine at a high charge level. To turn on the REx engine manually in a North American i3, you'd need to code Hold State of Charge. The BimmerCode app could do this.

Don't let preconceptions about high speed stop you. Plenty of drivers go it slower when it seems like "everybody" is doing 75: trucks, buses, jalopies, classics, motor homes, vans towing trailers, other EVs.

Just get in the slow lane, pair up with another like-minded driver, and pretty soon you've got yourself a friendly caravan.

I've done this more than a few times on 20 and 5 and it's no problem.

I just did a 4 hour trip to Michigan. Should have taken 3 hrs and 20 minutes but with doing the speed limit and having to stop for gas 3 times it was 4 hours and 10 minutes. Drawback is you feel every bump in the road. I had many truck I had to pass because they were going slower than the 70 mph limit. It was very windy that day. A little unnerving. It is possible, but not my favorite driving with this car. I did see another BMW i3 we both joyfully honked and waved at each other.

The one drawback you mention is the same as in an ICE car running out of fuel. Fill/Charge up before you leave and turn on the Rex prior to running out of "fuel".
  • If it is an older car code the fuel tank to increase it by 25% and enable “hold state of charge” in all Rex models.
  • For older cars make sure you check that it has the CCS port.
Crossing over our local mountain range from start to back to the bottom on the other side we are seeing around 140 Wh/km, the 650 GT maxi-scooter engine produces 25Kw/h, it will catch up to your pre-set percentage when there is less demand - slowing down, coasting or descending hills.

I am planning to drive from North London to Cognac in my 2017 REX, APBP shows that it will probably take around 2 hours longer than when I have done it in my Mercedes E class.
Looking forward to it, in a perverse kind of way.
I was wondering if anyone has done this kind of 550 mile trip and how it went
The only problem I can forsee is that I am going to have to use a variety of service providers along the route - Energie-Vianeo, Powerdot, Electra, Tesla and Ionity. Do I need to sign up for all of these apps, or is there a universal app which will enable me to use any charger in Europe?

For the French part of the trip you can opt for Chargemap (and in the UK too ?). They cover almost every operator, including Tesla. They have an initial charge of 20 € for the pass, no monthly charge and you pay about 10 % extra for each charge. They have a very good website with rates and comments from users for each charging point. Their route planner is not as good as ABRP IMHO.

It's the only pass I have, and so far it does the job.
Hope this can help

The only problem I can forsee is that I am going to have to use a variety of service providers along the route - Energie-Vianeo, Powerdot, Electra, Tesla and Ionity. Do I need to sign up for all of these apps, or is there a universal app which will enable me to use any charger in Europe?
Many large charging card providers in the EU have "roaming" agreements, so with one card you can access multiple charging points from different suppliers. There might be pricing differences though. I used a Shell Recharge card all across Europe.

For the French part of the trip you can opt for Chargemap (and in the UK too ?). They cover almost every operator, including Tesla. They have an initial charge of 20 € for the pass, no monthly charge and you pay about 10 % extra for each charge. They have a very good website with rates and comments from users for each charging point. Their route planner is not as good as ABRP IMHO.

It's the only pass I have, and so far it does the job.
Hope this can help
Great news, as I already have a Chargemap card and have signed up for a Tesla account. I will also carry a 10l 'jerry' can of petrol in my frunk. I also have taken the Bip&Go telepass card from my Mercedes and installed it on the windshield of my i3.
I will report back how well the trip goes after I return.

Back