Does anyone have any pictures of the cam positions relative to the camshaft reluctor ring? (Miss fire / Cam position error)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iain

Long shot i know but i had been getting missfires and cam sensor issues, the sensor has been changed so no issue there, leaving either timing chain stretch or somethign else.

I have found that the reluctor ring (only pressed on) had moved resulting in the the ecu seeing an implausible timing.

I have removed it, bored and tapped the ring and refitted it, but its still a bit out as i am working from some less than ideal reference images.

Does anyone have any images of the camshaft with the reluctor ring position clearly shorn VS a lobe without skew?

The reluctor wheel is stupidly heavy so has massive inertia so i am a bit surprised that more people are not seeing it slip, you can see it removed and tapped and refitted below (it cracked when tapped as its sintered, hence the welding) the engine now fires and runs not bad but will throw up a code after a few uses showing a timing error again so its not quite right.

20240901_110422.jpg20240901_102502.jpg

20240901_105211.jpg

Well, not that anyone seems interested but i have sorted the Rex and its now running perfectly.

I found an online image from the 650 scooter that uses the same engine that clearly shows the reluctor ring position, mapped it into fusion and then scaled the dimensions.

Having set my timing wheel to match as closely as possible (6.24mm from the base of the allocated timing reference (the bottom of the lump)) the engine now runs correctly with no misfire codes or cam sensor plausibility errors. its just done 50 miles of start stop with no codes or drivetrain issues.

Cam setting .jpg

Impressive analysis and repair skills!

Thanks, hopefully it proves useful as i suspect that this is a common issue.

Maybe worth noting that following the adjustment it threw a P13ba code which maps to a "Camshaft Inlet-Tooth Failure" this has not recurred since and i am currently putting it down to the adjustment of the perceived timing looking to the ecu like a tooth failure

Well, not that anyone seems interested but i have sorted the Rex and its now running perfectly.

I found an online image from the 650 scooter that uses the same engine that clearly shows the reluctor ring position, mapped it into fusion and then scaled the dimensions.

Having set my timing wheel to match as closely as possible (6.24mm from the base of the allocated timing reference (the bottom of the lump)) the engine now runs correctly with no misfire codes or cam sensor plausibility errors. its just done 50 miles of start stop with no codes or drivetrain issues.

View attachment 1364
how did you lock the position of the reluctor ring to the cam?

I was very interested. I just didn't have anything to add at the time. Nicely done sir, nicely done.

Now if I could just find someone that could code the latch for the I3 charge handle that seems to break the hook off. I could 3d print some replacements. I found one close in thingiverse but it's not completely correct.

how did you lock the position of the reluctor ring to the cam?

If you look at the pictures in the first post you will see where I drilled a hole in the ring, this has been tapped and then had a grub screw fitted with locktite to stop any further slippage.

The car has done another 50 miles on the rex today and with no codes

I was very interested. I just didn't have anything to add at the time. Nicely done sir, nicely done.

Now if I could just find someone that could code the latch for the I3 charge handle that seems to break the hook off. I could 3d print some replacements. I found one close in thingiverse but it's not completely correct.

Thanks, if you can post what your looking for I may find a bit of time and get it done

Latest posts

Back