Charging starting and termination problems

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, I have owned a 2014 i3 EBV. I only use a regular socket in the garage. Recently there has been a problem initiating a charge, the charge has not started every time. Several attempts failed and one time the charging started and it always charged without problems. There was no rule for the occurrence of failed initiation. The errors shown by the ISTA were described as a problem with the cable or the plug locking mechanism. Today, for the first time, a new problem: the plug did not unlock after charging was completed. And here is the question: does this indicate with high probability a typical problem? E.g. failure of the locking mechanism, which can be replaced. Or a problem with the LIM charging control module? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Earlier i3's where submitted to a recall regarding the charging module. In my car, a module was replaced without cost. I did experience similar issues before the recall. Maybe your car has not been recalled for whatever reason? You may check with the dealer. Also, the charging port itself may be defective. It was also replaced in my car once, when it would not unlock anymore.

Back