charging options unintended

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbimmerguy

So, my 18/94 came with 2 level 1 chargers, one genuine and one after market.. So, I mounted one semi permanent from the garage opener frame with an off switch mounted in an electrical box. Works great, flip switch on, drop handle from roof hook, and plug in. I also have an rv, and a garage mounted outside Nema 14-50 50 amp plug. Well, wife decided to get 2024 Mustang Mach e premium extended range. It came with a combo level one and level 2 charger. L2 of course needs the 50 amp plug. Works fantastic for the MME, decided to try with the I3rex. Wonderful. Brings the I3 up in an easy afternoon. Have not tried the i3 from nearly depleted state however, never really get to that point, always stay between 20 and 80 percent. Just need aLectron Nema plug splitter to keep motorhome plugged while allowing L2 charging, without swapping plugs. Fun times.

I get along pretty well with Level 1, too., charging mostly at work.

I installed a 40 amp Level 2 for the ID.4, and while I was at it I added a 20 amp, 240 volt receptacle that I can plug my Level 1 EVSE into (it's a L1/L2 combo unit) and charge at 16 amps / 3,800 kW and simultaneously charge both cars at the same time relatively quickly.

Nice thing about the i3 is the small battery means the time it requires to charge it at 16A Level 2 is roughly the same as it takes to charge the ID.4, which has 2x the battery capacity. And that 40 amps flowing into the i3 nearly feels like a fast charge. I think the ID.4 is around 4 hours from 30 to 80% at 40A while the i3 is a right around 5 hours at 16A.

Back