charge screen infomation

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busaman

i noticed last night my fully charged range was estimated to be 93miles on battery(no3 on page 71 of the handbook) but tonight its only 75 is that because it has estimated the distance on my driving style today (which was lively) or do i need to reset the trip meter.

busaman said:
i noticed last night my fully charged range was estimated to be 93miles on battery(no3 on page 71 of the handbook) but tonight its only 75 is that because it has estimated the distance on my driving style today (which was lively) or do i need to reset the trip meter.
It's based on the previous 18 miles of driving. No need to reset the trip meter.

That range can change as you drive both up and down (and you'll see it change if you switch to say Eco Pro from Comfort), but I do not know of any way to reset it to any default value. Keep in mind, it is really a guess. Often, the temperature in the morning will be lower than when you stopped the night before, and that can affect the range calculation. The car doesn't know how much or if it will warm up. While some ICE cars do show you an estimated distance to empty, those are only a guess as well, so the i3 isn't any different in that respect. Your current driving and watching the battery level are the most valid indications. You can reset the average miles/Kw readout, and that would give you a good idea of how you are doing on the current trip.

i3atl said:
busaman said:
It's based on the previous 18 miles of driving. No need to reset the trip meter.

If it is based on the last 18 miles then why does mine change from day to day several times if I don't go anywhere for 3 or 4 days? The SOC does not change, just the estimated miles of range.

Temperature changes...capacity of the battery to hold and release it changes with temp. Getting the battery conditioned helps to make that more consistent, but in the process, uses energy as well.

it has been on charge all night in the garage temp 9c and is now full but still only shows 84 miles as opposed to the 75 last night and 93 the night before (temp is the same to 1deg).

i3atl said:
busaman said:

I've read it is 20.

I am still perplexed that my 1.9 gallon beast is only estimating 39 - 45 MPG when full. It has been consistent , but the electric range is all over the place .

My rEX is currently showing 65 fuel miles on a full 1.9 (UK) gallon tank. It should be over 90 miles. Its estimates for range on petrol are consistently far too low.

If the REx mileage is also computed based on your last uses (I don't know that it is, but expect that is true like most predictions on cars), and say that was 75mph down the autoroute (requiring it to be running at full tilt), that would put it at around the mpg I've seen listed for the thing. Just like on an ICE, the fuel use varies based on the load (speed, or in this case electrical power use and generation). You'll get further using the REx running around on secondary roads at stop and go and 40-50mph than cruising at 75mph because it can run slower rather than at max programmed speed.

Back