CarPlay option not appearing

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just installed CarPlay using Premium Retrofit solution. I am very satisfied with it and PR's service. Especially since I did not have to install it in the glove compartment. Just under the back seat. It works brilliantly.

I have a 2022 I3s. Just ridiculous that BMW did not install CarPlay as standard. It was an extra paid option the first owner never went with.

Hi all,

Recently purchased a 2020 i3 and I thought CarPlay was standard equipment by this point. However, when I go in to manage mobile devices, I don’t see an option for CarPlay. My phone is an iPhone 14.

I only get telephone, music and apps (all ticked).

I checked to see if CarPlay was restricted on my phone but there are no restrictions set.

I also tried disconnecting, forgetting and reconnecting. I also tried connecting through CarPlay on the iPhone (holding down the voice control button on the wheel) but the car doesn’t appear.

When I go on to upgradable services on MyBMW the only missing services are Concierge and the Service inclusive and I don’t see a CarPlay option anywhere there.

Does anyone have any thoughts please
I bought my CarPlay installation from a guy on eBay for ~£25 a couple of years ago. I’d rung BMW & they told me my 2019 model couldn’t be retrofitted - which was total nonsense as it turns out - it needed a wifi aerial (which was already fitted under the back seat from the factory) & the widescreen dash head unit. They sent me a file over the net which I installed with my laptop & it’s worked fine ever since. I hate BMW dealers……….

Bmw told same to me (feb 2020 car). So stupid from their side, as I was willing to abide for their stealer prices.
Once september comes, i ll have it remotely coded by ebay seller, as I also have factory wifi antenna and wide screen

I bought my CarPlay installation from a guy on eBay for ~£25 a couple of years ago. I’d rung BMW & they told me my 2019 model couldn’t be retrofitted - which was total nonsense as it turns out - it needed a wifi aerial (which was already fitted under the back seat from the factory) & the widescreen dash head unit. They sent me a file over the net which I installed with my laptop & it’s worked fine ever since. I hate BMW dealers……….
Meant to say - the widescreen head unit was already fitted from new …..

I must say I'm a little jealous of you guys and your software-only solutions in the newer cars! For anyone reading this with an older car like my 2015 i3 Rex, however, there are options available. I bought the Road Top unit for mine, which cost a couple hundred dollars and a couple of hours of my time to install, but it works well and is a good solution, IMHO.

John Francis
Rolla, MO

Back