Car unstable, jerking left and right, swerves

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last week my wife was driving the 2017 I3 on the freeway and the steering became really unstable like she got a flat.. She pulled over and didn't see anything wrong. She continued to drive and same thing happened. After calling the SOS, they told her try turning traction control off. So she went to settings -> Traction -> Traction off. It was on "Normal" before. She was able to drive home in the back roads at lower speeds without any issues.

We tried to make an appt to the dealership but they are so backed up, next available in Feb.

Today, I tested the car. Drove fine for10 minutes at lower speeds on the freeway (55-60MPH). Then it happen to me as well. Truly scary to feel the car jerking left and right multiple times. I think it happen as I was trying to make a turn into the exit. Car is so unstable when this happens, I would be afraid to drive this car in the high way.

Anyone know what this could be?
Exactly what happened to me... went to a mechanic only to find out 1 huge BOLT is missing. I guess it's part of the suspension on the rear. Drove away HAPPY ...

Exactly what happened to me... went to a mechanic only to find out 1 huge BOLT is missing. I guess it's part of the suspension on the rear. Drove away HAPPY ...
A similar thing happened to me on my 2019 I3s My car would want to veer right or left when I accelerated or decelerated slightly. Turns out it was a wheel alignment. All is good now.

Back