Buying used 2015 i3 all electric - questions on charging, range

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cargoman63

Hi all

Pleased to be a new member here and from what I've read so far, some terrific info - seems like an engaged group
I'm in the process of acquiring a used 2015 i3 all electric and curious about anyone's experiences with the DC-faster charging; specifically,
what is the name of the correct cord? I need to get one. Also, very curious about experiences with fast-charging stations wherever you might be (I'm in the Puget Sound region), and
how long those charges usually take? Tying into that - if anyone has attempted long journeys and if the faster-charging stations were available-enough on your route(s)? Thanks so much, and forgive my lack of knowledge/correct buzzwords - I'm clearly a newbie

No special charging cable is necessary for DC fast charging; the charging cable and plug are permanently attached to the charger itself.

A North American i3's charging port is a Combined Charging Standard (CCS) Type 1. The competing North American DC fast charging port is Tesla's port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS). All EV and DC fast charger manufacturers seem to be migrating to the NACS port and plug in North America. You would need a NACS to CCS adapter and the Tesla smartphone app to use a Tesla Supercharger. A few North American Tesla Superchargers include the necessary adapter, but until Tesla updates all of its North American Superchargers, charging your i3 at a Supercharger isn't possible yet as far as I know.

The i3's maximum DC fast charging power is nominally 50 kW although the peak reported seems to be in the mid to high 40 kW's. This is quite slow compared with most EV's. However, for your small 22 kWh battery pack, more powerful charging could result in excessive battery cell degradation if you DC fast charged regularly. For your i3, the DC fast charging speed decreases rapidly above an 80% charge level, so continuing to charge usually isn't worth the time and would tie up the charger if other EV's are waiting to charge. Assuming the nominal new usable capacity of your battery pack, 18.8 kWh, an average 40 kW charging power, and charging from a 10% to 80% charge level, charging would take ~20 minutes to complete.

Because of the heavy weight of DC fast charging cables and plugs, it is sometimes necessary to lift the plug a bit for several seconds after plugging in to allow communication between the charger and an i3 to complete successfully. After charging commences, it's not necessary to continue lifting the plug.

No special charging cable is necessary for DC fast charging; the charging cable and plug are permanently attached to the charger itself.

A North American i3's charging port is a Combined Charging Standard (CCS) Type 1. The competing North American DC fast charging port is Tesla's port, now called the North American Charging Standard (NACS). All EV and DC fast charger manufacturers seem to be migrating to the NACS port and plug in North America. You would need a NACS to CCS adapter and the Tesla smartphone app to use a Tesla Supercharger. A few North American Tesla Superchargers include the necessary adapter, but until Tesla updates all of its North American Superchargers, charging your i3 at a Supercharger isn't possible yet as far as I know.

The i3's maximum DC fast charging power is nominally 50 kW although the peak reported seems to be in the mid to high 40 kW's. This is quite slow compared with most EV's. However, for your small 22 kWh battery pack, more powerful charging could result in excessive battery cell degradation if you DC fast charged regularly. For your i3, the DC fast charging speed decreases rapidly above an 80% charge level, so continuing to charge usually isn't worth the time and would tie up the charger if other EV's are waiting to charge. Assuming the nominal new usable capacity of your battery pack, 18.8 kWh, an average 40 kW charging power, and charging from a 10% to 80% charge level, charging would take ~20 minutes to complete.

Because of the heavy weight of DC fast charging cables and plugs, it is sometimes necessary to lift the plug a bit for several seconds after plugging in to allow communication between the charger and an i3 to complete successfully. After charging commences, it's not necessary to continue lifting the plug.
Mahalo, Art!

I believe you're in good shape, but worth plugging your VIN in to mdecoder.com and verifying DCFC is present. All 2015s supposedly have it as standard equipment, but it was an option in 2014 so just in case...

S4U7 FAST CHARGING DC

If not, the charge port will look like the one in the photo (AC only).

You mention "getting a cord." Not necessary unless you're talking about home charging, but it sounds like your post is focused strictly on on-the-road DC changing.

In a 2015 there are many routes without sufficient charger coverage to get a 2015 from A to B on battery alone. ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com) is your friend to help determine what's possible. I've driven the larger battery versions long distances but even the route planning is usually required.

Screenshot_20240502-115803.png

I believe you're in good shape, but worth plugging your VIN in to mdecoder.com and verifying DCFC is present. All 2015s supposedly have it as standard equipment, but it was an option in 2014 so just in case...

S4U7 FAST CHARGING DC

If not, the charge port will look like the one in the photo (AC only).

You mention "getting a cord." Not necessary unless you're talking about home charging, but it sounds like your post is focused strictly on on-the-road DC changing.

In a 2015 there are many routes without sufficient charger coverage to get a 2015 from A to B on battery alone. ABRP (abetterrouteplanner.com) is your friend to help determine what's possible. I've driven the larger battery versions long distances but even the route planning is usually required.

View attachment 858
Thanks so much, Nate and yeah, it does have the two-pin fast-charge connector (thankfully). The route planner is fascinating. Such a different way of thinking before setting out on a road trip :)

Not sure what it's like in the sound area, but the charging options here in Eugene are pretty much crap for trips out of town. In the last year, here is what I have experienced with just 5 trips:

Trip 1, north to Salem, 65 miles: Fast charger mid-trip only has one connector, and it was inoperable. In Salem, one EA station with 4 chargers, and only 1 actually working, occupied with 1 person waiting. Though I have the gas REx, I decided to look for level 2 charging since I had run my battery too low to hold 70+MPH on I-5. Options for that were limited primarily to car dealerships - who routinely gate keep access to them for owners of their brands and potential buyers. It was out of my way, but the BMW came through, offering both the level 2 and use of their DC fast charger in the back. I didn't need much, so I just used the slower unit.

Trip 2, north to Corvallis, 45 miles: Same fast charger mid-trip as before, unoccupied, operable but not functioning properly. Over the course of 4 separate sessions that kept terminating early, managed to get 80% into the car. The display for payment was messed up, so I had to guess what order to do things to start the charge with no display on the charger until it actually starts charging.

Trip 3, south to Roseburg, 71 miles: Given the previous hassle, I filled up with gas and skipped the fast charger in Cottage Grove, also with only one cable and unknown status. Made it to Roseburg on gas. Located the one public DC fast charger in town, also with only 1 cable. Not occupied and showing as working fine on plugshare, but it wasn't. I had to call customer service for EVCS to initiate the charge, and it too shut off early. Fortunately it took the pack to over 70%, so I called it good and put more gas in the car. No problem getting back home from there, also skipping Cottage Grove.

Trip 4, Corvallis again: Issues with the lone fast charger persist despite reports of issues spanning 6 months. Single cable, not occupied, but only had to reinitialize the charge once this time. Still relied on gas for much of the trip.

Trip 5, east to Blue River, 49 miles: Same EVCS DC charger type as in Roseburg and Corvallis, worked great with no wait, but still only one cable with only a nearby level 2 option. I have used this charger multiple times over the years and never had an issue with it. Clearly, it's the exception.

Not sure what it's like in the sound area, but the charging options here in Eugene are pretty much crap for trips out of town. In the last year, here is what I have experienced with just 5 trips:

Trip 1, north to Salem, 65 miles: Fast charger mid-trip only has one connector, and it was inoperable. In Salem, one EA station with 4 chargers, and only 1 actually working, occupied with 1 person waiting. Though I have the gas REx, I decided to look for level 2 charging since I had run my battery too low to hold 70+MPH on I-5. Options for that were limited primarily to car dealerships - who routinely gate keep access to them for owners of their brands and potential buyers. It was out of my way, but the BMW came through, offering both the level 2 and use of their DC fast charger in the back. I didn't need much, so I just used the slower unit.

Trip 2, north to Corvallis, 45 miles: Same fast charger mid-trip as before, unoccupied, operable but not functioning properly. Over the course of 4 separate sessions that kept terminating early, managed to get 80% into the car. The display for payment was messed up, so I had to guess what order to do things to start the charge with no display on the charger until it actually starts charging.

Trip 3, south to Roseburg, 71 miles: Given the previous hassle, I filled up with gas and skipped the fast charger in Cottage Grove, also with only one cable and unknown status. Made it to Roseburg on gas. Located the one public DC fast charger in town, also with only 1 cable. Not occupied and showing as working fine on plugshare, but it wasn't. I had to call customer service for EVCS to initiate the charge, and it too shut off early. Fortunately it took the pack to over 70%, so I called it good and put more gas in the car. No problem getting back home from there, also skipping Cottage Grove.

Trip 4, Corvallis again: Issues with the lone fast charger persist despite reports of issues spanning 6 months. Single cable, not occupied, but only had to reinitialize the charge once this time. Still relied on gas for much of the trip.

Trip 5, east to Blue River, 49 miles: Same EVCS DC charger type as in Roseburg and Corvallis, worked great with no wait, but still only one cable with only a nearby level 2 option. I have used this charger multiple times over the years and never had an issue with it. Clearly, it's the exception.
Hmmm, that’s worrying. I don’t have a good enough handle yet on my region to answer authoritatively but for longer road trips, that’s a concern. Curious: do you have the adaptor to use Tesla stations? Do you think that would help?

do you have the adaptor to use Tesla stations? Do you think that would help?
Tesla hasn't opened Surchargeers to BMW yet.

For now, there are adapters for AC Tesla charging, but that's only useful it you're parked overnight at a hotel or airport, it some other longer duration stopover.

Hmmm, that’s worrying. I don’t have a good enough handle yet on my region to answer authoritatively but for longer road trips, that’s a concern. Curious: do you have the adaptor to use Tesla stations? Do you think that would help?
I've never felt the need to get one given the charger locations and having the REx backup, but I would be a lot more likely to if I had to rely on public chargers around here. Regardless, my point is to plan carefully and don't make any assumptions about charge availability in some areas. (But worst case, there will always be some type of AC outlet around if you really need it, likely at a much higher cost to convenience.)

Tesla hasn't opened Surchargeers to BMW yet.

For now, there are adapters for AC Tesla charging, but that's only useful it you're parked overnight at a hotel or airport, it some other longer duration stopover.
Charging does work on magic dock equipped superchargers, but those are few and far between.

Hi, Cargoman63 -- welcome to the forum and to the i3 clan! I'm in the Rogue Valley, far south of you, and not having the courage to get a BEV, my 2017, bought four years ago, is a REx. A year and a half ago I did manage the courage to launch a 4-day journey from southern Oregon to northernmost Washington. along Highway 97 -- well off the Interstates, tourist and commuting routes, motel chains, etc. ... and I did fine! Folding down the back seat and stuffing pillows to fill the gap, I slept onboard (while on a free Level 2 charge over night), and I discovered opportunities to use Level 3 fast-charge at a few locations along the way. Largely, though, I relied on the REx (and the spare 2 gallon gas can in the frunk) to get me through the miles, many at night when gas stations were closed. Yes, many charge stations were nonfunctional too, so sometimes my power-hops were under 100 miles at a time. But I successfully managed 1500 miles round-trip in four days. I love my i3, and I hope the same for you!

Hi, Cargoman63 -- welcome to the forum and to the i3 clan! I'm in the Rogue Valley, far south of you, and not having the courage to get a BEV, my 2017, bought four years ago, is a REx. A year and a half ago I did manage the courage to launch a 4-day journey from southern Oregon to northernmost Washington. along Highway 97 -- well off the Interstates, tourist and commuting routes, motel chains, etc. ... and I did fine! Folding down the back seat and stuffing pillows to fill the gap, I slept onboard (while on a free Level 2 charge over night), and I discovered opportunities to use Level 3 fast-charge at a few locations along the way. Largely, though, I relied on the REx (and the spare 2 gallon gas can in the frunk) to get me through the miles, many at night when gas stations were closed. Yes, many charge stations were nonfunctional too, so sometimes my power-hops were under 100 miles at a time. But I successfully managed 1500 miles round-trip in four days. I love my i3, and I hope the same for you!
Thanks, Jim. I know your area fairly well (have rafted the Rogue - super fun). Have you taken your vehicle down through the Grants Pass-Shasta area yet in far Northern Cal? It's so hilly (mountainous) I imagine that would be very challenging on burning charge and guessing fewer charging opps - esp. for DC charging?

Hi all

Pleased to be a new member here and from what I've read so far, some terrific info - seems like an engaged group
I'm in the process of acquiring a used 2015 i3 all electric and curious about anyone's experiences with the DC-faster charging; specifically,
what is the name of the correct cord? I need to get one. Also, very curious about experiences with fast-charging stations wherever you might be (I'm in the Puget Sound region), and
how long those charges usually take? Tying into that - if anyone has attempted long journeys and if the faster-charging stations were available-enough on your route(s)? Thanks so much, and forgive my lack of knowledge/correct buzzwords - I'm clearly a newbie
Hi, I recently purchased a 2017 i3 REX. We took our first trip out of town from Beaverton, OR to Bay Center, WA. 121 miles. I used the app CHARGEWAY to plan. I made one stop in Warrington at a Fred Meyers to charge. There was fast charge capacity for 4 cars and I was the only one there both going and returning. I charged for 15-20 minutes. I hope future trips go that well.

It's so hilly (mountainous) I imagine that would be very challenging on burning charge and guessing fewer charging opps - esp. for DC charging?
EV's are superior to ICE vehicles when driving in hilly or mountainous terrain because an EV can recover some potential energy via regenerative braking when descending whereas an ICE vehicle would just convert its potential energy to heat when braking.

Back