BMW i3 wins Wheels magazine COTY (Australia)

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I33t

Wheels mag is a hard core petrolhead magazine dominated by the local manufacturers and performance cars from all makes. That makes them handing out COTY to the i3 surprising and significant.

With BMW’s i3, the switching hour has struck. This innovative and compact electric car combines expressive design, impressive engineering, exceptional efficiency and persuasive practicality with a good deal of driver appeal.

Both admirable and desirable, the i3 is the car that signals, loud and clear, electric propulsion’s readiness for the road ahead.

For its far-sighted clarity of vision and unswerving execution, the i3 is Wheels Car of the Year 2014. It is the first electric car and the first BMW ever to win our award.

Efficiency is the obvious strong suit of the i3. Its underfloor lithium-ion battery pack stores the electric equivalent of just two litres of unleaded, but it’s enough to endow the i3 with a 100km-plus pure electric driving range. Easily more than the 40km the average Australian drives every day.

When recharged using renewable energy – and it’s hard to imagine anyone who buys an i3 wanting to use anything else – this urban warrior delivers practically emission-free mobility.

Range anxiety, however, remains an electric car reality. BMW offers a cure for the condition. The Range Extender version adds immensely to the BMW’s flexibility. It brings the freedom to make unplanned trips as well as longer journeys.

The i3 doesn’t only shine in comparison with fossil fuel power. It’s also more efficient than other electric cars.

http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1501/bmw-i3-wheels-car-of-the-year-2014/

Video mini review:
http://www.wheelsmag.com.au/car-of-the-year/1501/car-of-the-year-2014-finalist-bmw-i3/

Thanks for posting this 133t. It is heartening to finally see some ozzie commentators finally realising the potential in EVs. New desirable EVs like the i3 and the Tesla are finally showing up the real deficiencies of the ICE. I noted that a Top Gear review of the i3 gave the car a 9/10 overall rating (can you believe it) with comments such as "Overall the i3 makes conventional cars suddenly feel like dinosaurs". http://www.topgear.com/uk/bmw/i3/verdict

Should have mine delivered by the end of this month.

Congratulations and good luck with your delivery.

I've had quite a few people comment after giving them a ride. All have been positive but several have mentioned that the sensation is more like an airplane than a car. I can see why. It's power delivery and deceleration is smooth like no other car I've been in.

Yes, I have found the same thing. People who have experienced the acceleration of our new i3 ( and I am taking pleasure in giving many people a ride ) describe it similarly - it's like the acceleration of a jet plane except stronger.
JTM

Back