Bmw app not showing charging stats

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldbimmerguy

Is it necessary to subscribe to connected services in order to see and track charging sessions in the app. Most everything in the app works for me but no info on charging history. I am not a subscriber at this time.

That is basically the only thing that does not work if you don't have a subscription.
I let mine lapse a few weeks ago to see what would work and what would not.
Used to be that without a subscription you got zero access, now you have "limited" access without a subscription so it is sort of confusing.
If you want charging info you will have to get a subscription

But also bear in mind that it depends where in the world you are. The rules in Europe are substantially different than in the US, for example.

In the UK I have no subscription and I have no access to overall car mileage or charging stats. Everything else is fine.
I can remote lock/unlock, current charge % status/range, GPS location, precondition, flash lights.

I have pretty much everything I need and will not be paying the £79 subscription fee.

That is basically the only thing that does not work if you don't have a subscription.
I let mine lapse a few weeks ago to see what would work and what would not.
Used to be that without a subscription you got zero access, now you have "limited" access without a subscription so it is sort of confusing.
If you want charging info you will have to get a subscription
Does the vehicle need a phone plan in order to get connected car services? I really don't use the Hotspot feature.

Does the vehicle need a phone plan in order to get connected car services? I really don't use the Hotspot feature.
No. The vehicle has its own connection. Depending on your model year it is either 4G or 3G (which some areas no longer support).
Is it necessary to subscribe to connected services in order to see and track charging sessions in the app. Most everything in the app works for me but no info on charging history. I am not a subscriber at this time.
USA here -- when I let mine lapse I thought most functions failed. But I'm not confident on that.

USA here -- when I let mine lapse I thought most functions failed. But I'm not confident on that.
That used to be the case, but BMW changed something this year and now allows limited functions. Please see my comment above

In the UK I have no subscription and I have no access to overall car mileage or charging stats. Everything else is fine.
I can remote lock/unlock, current charge % status/range, GPS location, precondition, flash lights.

I have pretty much everything I need and will not be paying the £79 subscription fee.
In the UK (and Europe) you don't need a subscription for any of the basic connectivity. Remote Services, ConnectedDrive Services, i ConnectedDrive Services, Intelligent Emergency Call and Teleservices should all be activated for the life of the car (provided it has a version of iDrive that can use them).

The confusing thing for me is what happens to Connected+, which is a service that is activated for only 3 years from date of purchase. It's not clear (because on my car it has not yet run out) whether the Connected Booster package at £79 includes those services or not. I probably won't be able to find that out until 30 days before my subscription expires - at which point it should show what can be renewed, and how. The one bit of Connected+ that I do use regularly is the ability to send a route to the car - but I won't be paying £79 if that's all I'm going to use!

Last edited:
The one bit of Connected+ that I do use regularly is the ability to send a route to the car - but I won't be paying £79 if that's all I'm going to use!
In a U.S. i3 with an expired Connected Services subscription, routes can still be sent to the car, so I'd be surprised if you wouldn't be able to do so without the Connected+ subscription.

Back