£2.5k KLE Fault after only 4,000 miles.

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PsyBean

2 years ago I purchased a 2019 i3s with only 2,000 miles on the clock and have since added just 2,000 more miles. A charging fault developed this week and has been diagnosed by BMW as a KLE fault for which they are quoting a £2.5k repair! That's a 4 year old car with 4,000 miles needing a £2.5k repair!!!

Has anyone else experienced such a failure and does anyone have any suggestions as to sourcing a cheaper repair?

Thanks.

The KLE is not only responsible for managing AC-DC charging, but it also provides the high-voltage output for the air conditioning compressor (EKK) and the heater (EH). If you're purchasing an OE part, it indeed comes at such a price. Besides buying a brand-new part, you have two other options: either purchase a second-hand unit or find a company that can help you repair the KLE.

2 years ago I purchased a 2019 i3s with only 2,000 miles on the clock and have since added just 2,000 more miles. A charging fault developed this week and has been diagnosed by BMW as a KLE fault for which they are quoting a £2.5k repair! That's a 4 year old car with 4,000 miles needing a £2.5k repair!!!

Has anyone else experienced such a failure and does anyone have any suggestions as to sourcing a cheaper repair?

Thanks.
As you are perhaps in the UK, Lively automotive is a well regarded independent i3 expert there.

Back