Repair of Carbon Reinforced Plastic (CRP) panel

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkH

I have a scratch/gouge 1mm - 2 mm deep on one white body panel, which I need to get fixed.

I don't believe any panelbeaters in my area will have come across CRP before.

I'm wondering what information I can give them that will help them to know what is required:
What fill material should be used?
What are the considerations for buffing the surface smooth.
Is there any special paint needed?

Have the body shop source a used replacement panel in the same color. They are held on with clips.

Also, with the exception of the non-sunroof roof (CFRP), hood (aluminum or steel) and tailgate (glass) the body panels are plastic -- ABS, I believe. I imagine pretty similar to what Saturn was doing with their SL series cars in the 90s, and what a lot of bumper facias are made of on lots and lots and lots of modern cars. So if it's repairable, any body shop should be familiar with how to make it look pretty, if you don't want to spend for a replacement panel. There are loads of used panels on eBay and sites like car-part.com which is an aggregator for salvage yards.

No replacement panels available in NZ and freight from USA is prohibitive.
It turns out that the body repair shop can treat it much like a plastic bumper, anyway, and repaint. So that's good.

Back