iTunes playlist to i3

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatguy

I can transfer music into my Music Collection on the i3, but I cannot figure out how to transfer a playlist. All of the music transfers with no problem. Organizing into folders made no difference, it just copies all the music and discards the folder information.

I tried exporting a playlist from iTunes, but it is ignored by the i3 when I try to import it.

Anyone got this working?

Boatguy said:
I can transfer music into my Music Collection on the i3, but I cannot figure out how to transfer a playlist. All of the music transfers with no problem. Organizing into folders made no difference, it just copies all the music and discards the folder information.

I tried exporting a playlist from iTunes, but it is ignored by the i3 when I try to import it.

Anyone got this working?
You are one in front of me - how do you transfer from the iPod to the car's hard drive? Only got it on Saturday and have not had the time to play with it properly yet!

pastyboy said:
You are one in front of me - how do you transfer from the iPod to the car's hard drive? Only got it on Saturday and have not had the time to play with it properly yet!
Put the music on a USB thumb drive. Insert the thumb drive into the USB port in the center console. Under Media select external, wait a bit and the thumb drive should appear as an option. Select it and the music will start playing. Scroll down a couple of menu items and one will be Import. Select that and it will start copying to the i3. There is no progress indicator, but if you keep looking at the Import menu item it will say "Cancel" until it finishes, then it will revert to Import.

Cedriclekine said:
you should try software like itunes export from eric dougherty... worked fine on my F20 and X6
That program is very dated and doesn't quite work as expected. However, it did lead me to discover that BMW wants playlists in the .M3U format when playing from a USB. i also discovered that iTunes will export playlists in the .m3u format.

Unfortunately, when I put it on the USB drive and imported the music the i3 did not import the playlist.

To try and answer your problem, this post seems to cover it.

I have a 32 GB HP thumbdrive plugged into the usb port in the center console.
My plalists are in a folder called "playlist" on the thumbdrive.
My plalists are in the .m3u format. eg. playlistname.m3u
To access the playlists I select the thumbdrive via the iDrive menu and then navigate to the playlists menu option. When I click on the playlists icon I can see a list of the playlists that I have in the "playlist" folder.

Original post here;

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=639922

I don't have my car back from the body shop so can't test the above.

The definitive answer from BMW:

"Individual MP3 formatted files can be imported/transferred to the vehicle. Playlists cannot be transferred, however, they can be created inside the iDrive after your music files are added."

Boatguy said:

"Individual MP3 formatted files can be imported/transferred to the vehicle. Playlists cannot be transferred, however, they can be created inside the iDrive after your music files are added."

Yep, that must be iTunes related, as my favorites from Windows (Windows Media Player?) playlists moved over no problem.

kevinb61 said:
Boatguy said:

Yep, that must be iTunes related, as my favorites from Windows (Windows Media Player?) playlists moved over no problem.
Great! How did you do it?

Back