Tech package

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
None of the packages are 'required', but many of them are nice to have. It's a tradeoff. That being said, some of the stuff in packages is pretty nice to have if you want to spring for it. The various bits in the Tech package like the professional nav give you a nice, wider display which can make split screen much nicer along with a few other tricks the business nav doesn't have. THe ACC is neat if you're driving in traffic. You can adjust the space between yourself and the car in front, and if they slow, you'll slow, to the point where it will actually stop the car, then start up again when they do. The other two parts, may or may not be of much use depending on how often you have reasonable alternative routes to where you are going and how often things get clogged up. I really find the rear camera really handy, but could easily live without the other bits - same thing with most packages. Other than maybe living in Germany, you cannot select individual options - if you want something in a package, it's an all or nothing issue with a few exceptions.

:) I learned many years ago, more options are best. The cost of the tech package isn't unreasonable and over the life of your lease or ownership, it's money well spent. If I had to choose one option, the tech package would be my choice. Guaranteed, you'll use and benefit from it every time you use your i3.

jadnashuanh said:
None of the packages are 'required', but many of them are nice to have. It's a tradeoff. That being said, some of the stuff in packages is pretty nice to have if you want to spring for it. The various bits in the Tech package like the professional nav give you a nice, wider display which can make split screen much nicer along with a few other tricks the business nav doesn't have. THe ACC is neat if you're driving in traffic. You can adjust the space between yourself and the car in front, and if they slow, you'll slow, to the point where it will actually stop the car, then start up again when they do. The other two parts, may or may not be of much use depending on how often you have reasonable alternative routes to where you are going and how often things get clogged up. I really find the rear camera really handy, but could easily live without the other bits - same thing with most packages. Other than maybe living in Germany, you cannot select individual options - if you want something in a package, it's an all or nothing issue with a few exceptions.

TY.

Well said

DAZ said:
:) I learned many years ago, more options are best. The cost of the tech package isn't unreasonable and over the life of your lease or ownership, it's money well spent. If I had to choose one option, the tech package would be my choice. Guaranteed, you'll use and benefit from it every time you use your i3.

Thanks Daz.

DAZ said:
I'll play devil's advocate here. I will buy packages with stuff I want, but rarely anything else. I tend to keep cars five or more years, so my reasoning may not apply so much to shorter term owners/leasers. Extra toys have two main problems.

First, it is more things to break. Few things piss me off more than a broken toy rarely used that is expensive to fix. I had laser guided cruise control in my last Sienna (which I believe worked better and more reliable than what is offered in the i3 tech package, but I that is only from reading about the i3 ACC issues on-line). I did not like using the auto-mode most of the time for various reasons, so I often overrode it and used it like a normal cruise control. When it went out, the idea of paying over $1K to fix something I did not even want was not fun, however, I knew resell value depended on it working. Also, when it did go out, it disabled the normal mode usage as well.

Second, while I have often heard that gadgets help resell value, that is BS. They often make it a bit easier to resell a vehicle, but never return much, and nearly always depreciate faster than the rest of the car. This is true for trade-in value, but even more so if you sell your cars privately.

With regards to the i3 tech package features, I have nearly all of the goodies on my loaded '13 Lexus ES hybrid. Lots of fun for the first few months. Many go unused now. After the first year subscription to the traffic reports expired, I had no interest in renewing it. The nav is great (considerably better than the i3 in many ways), but the real-time traffic is as frustrating as it is useful, due to time delays (typically only a few minutes at that).

On the other hand, while I find the parking assistant to be a virtual joke (the i3 is SO easy to park!), I very much love the back up camera and distance sensors, so I was very willing to pay through the nose to get them. Not happy that I also had to buy the parking assistant to get the camera and sensors.

Having only just ordered a REx with a fair few extra items ( Park assist , Sunroof, Winter pack, alloys) . I am now having a serious case of buyers remorse for not specifying the larger Nav unit. I KNOW I don't really need it, however I don't want to spend the next 5 years regretting my decision. I feel an order amendment coming on ! ;)

PluviaPlumbum said:
Having only just ordered a REx with a fair few extra items ( Park assist , Sunroof, Winter pack, alloys) . I am now having a serious case of buyers remorse for not specifying the larger Nav unit. I KNOW I don't really need it, however I don't want to spend the next 5 years regretting my decision. I feel an order amendment coming on ! ;)
The larger display was the one feature of the Tech package that I really wanted. Most of the rest was of no interest to me, so I had no problem with the way too steep price for the larger nav screen. Now that I have six weeks using the smaller nave screen, I have no regrets at all. The main thing about the i3 is that it is a city car. The large nav screen with split functions would be really nice for navigating strange cities (as it is in my Lexus), but it just isn't very useful to me around town. Even using the navigation guidance does not need the larger screen to be perfectly functional. When I am in a strange area, I get uncomfortable about things like left exits, roundabouts, etc., where a big, clear nav display may be very helpful, but those things are very predictable throughout the metro area I live and drive my i3 (Phoenix). I am perfectly happy with the smaller business nav, even though I would prefer the pro nav.

I want to second the comment by i3Alan: "On the other hand, while I find the parking assistant to be a virtual joke (the i3 is SO easy to park!), I very much love the back up camera and distance sensors, so I was very willing to pay through the nose to get them. Not happy that I also had to buy the parking assistant to get the camera and sensors."

We bought that package to get the backup camera and the sensors. Could live without the parking assistant. Kind of a fun toy, but not really necessary. If you can't park an i3, well . . . .

pdurham said:
I want to second the comment by i3Alan: "On the other hand, while I find the parking assistant to be a virtual joke (the i3 is SO easy to park!), I very much love the back up camera and distance sensors, so I was very willing to pay through the nose to get them. Not happy that I also had to buy the parking assistant to get the camera and sensors."

We bought that package to get the backup camera and the sensors. Could live without the parking assistant. Kind of a fun toy, but not really necessary. If you can't park an i3, well . . . .

Parking spaces in Europe tend to be much less generous than in the US, so the sensors, camera and self park are perhaps more relevant. In the UK the rear sensors are a standard fit in any case. What is slightly irritating is the self park on this Hi tech vehicle doesn't include any bay parking capability unlike the equivalent VW system.

We went back to the dealership today to look at a customer's car that was in pre-delivery with the smaller Business Nav unit, my other half, even though she is not tech minded said to go for the Pro Media widescreen - so I guess that's that then. :D

The only reason I was thinking about the Tech Package is because I thought the salesperson stated that the bigger screen display lets you know the mileage to charging stations, what your currently burning off the battery (driving patterns, a/c , heat,etc) and it lets you know if your current battery has enough charge to get you there ?

I have backup camera in all my current cars and love it but its not a big deal. I still find myself turning around and looking back (habit). I have NAV in my current cars and I still use my phone. I would never use the parking assistance. If I find myself having trouble parking, then that would be the day I throw in the towel, sell the cars and take public transportation.

Back