Sirius/XM Radio for Mega World cars

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SnowMore

I bought my i3 with the Mega World trim package which doesn't include satellite radio capability. My dealer says its available as a software-only upgrade for "about $800". This seems absurd. A software-only upgrade costs BMW nothing. Why would they not provide this functionality at a nominal cost?

I know the answer is they want me to shell out for the $2k trim package. But, really, this is a gross violation of the manufacturer-customer relationship. BMW stands for engineering excellence and a luxury experience. Providing a software version that essentially disables hardware I've paid for is certainly contrary to this positioning.

Any thoughts on adding satellite radio without breaking the bank or adding redundant hardware?

Most of the upgrade fee covers licensing that goes to Sirius XM, music labels, sports leagues and other content providers. I've read that some dealers charge less for the upgrade than others so you might shop around. BMW includes satellite radio hardware in all US market vehicles now, not just with the i3. You paid for Sirius XM prewiring. That's what you got. Calling it a gross violation is overblown. That's kind of like saying once you buy an iPhone then all the content in the iTunes store should be free or at nominal cost.

For what it's worth, my Giga BEV has the option and I'm appalled by the sound quality. The audio compression levels are quite apparent with the Harmon Kardon sound system. Much worse compared to other sound systems I've used for Sirius XM. Internet radio streamed through my iPhone sounds better in the i3. As a result, I have no intention of renewing my Sirius XM subscription once the "free" year of service expires.

I often am listening to NPR, so sound quality isn't a huge issue...but, one thing I don't appreciate is the frequent dropouts I get on country, tree-lined, narrow roads. Most of the buildings around here aren't all that tall, so the canyon effect you might get in a major city like NYC doesn't generally apply to me.

I have no intention of renewing the license when my free year is up, either. If it were a long-distance, cross-country vehicle, it might be worth it to have something when out of radio range (and there's no AM band where you might have a chance, especially at night), but I bought it and intend to use it as a city car, and drive my other one on longer trips.

I listen to NPR most of the time also. Fortunately get excellent reception from the local station. In fact, comparing the FM HD broadcast to the satellite feed was one of the things that made me realize how bad Sirius XM sounds.

Stumble, I think you are mischaracterizing the situation. I would be happy to pay the monthly or annual fees for Sirius/XM service. But I can't do it because BMW has DISABLED THE HARDWARE. My choices are to buy an aftermarket radio and put it in a brand new car that already has one (ludicrous), or pay an exorbitant fee for a SOFTWARE "upgrade" (also ludicrous).

What if BMW put software in your car that decreased battery life by 10% and then offered you an $800 software "upgrade" to give you the extra 10%. If they had such an upgrade, they should just give it to you. Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

SnowMore said:
Stumble, I think you are mischaracterizing the situation. I would be happy to pay the monthly or annual fees for Sirius/XM service. But I can't do it because BMW has DISABLED THE HARDWARE. My choices are to buy an aftermarket radio and put it in a brand new car that already has one (ludicrous), or pay an exorbitant fee for a SOFTWARE "upgrade" (also ludicrous).

What if BMW put software in your car that decreased battery life by 10% and then offered you an $800 software "upgrade" to give you the extra 10%. If they had such an upgrade, they should just give it to you. Same thing as far as I'm concerned.

I believe the dealer is mistaken. With my X1 sat radio was a port-installed option that I believe was hardware and software changes. May be the same with the i3 - the Mega is "pre-wired" and requires a hardware module install (?) along with software changes. It shouldn't be $800 though - $400-500 would be in line with other models.

SnowMore said:

Actually the upgrade fee includes a "free" 12 month subscription for the service.

Instead of being hysterical, do some research. BMW has been built the circuitry for satellite radio into the navigation head units since the 2010 model year. Search the forums and you'll find that other BMW owners report upgrade price quotes ranging from the $800 you got down to under $300.

Here's how it works: BMW NA wholesales the code, which includes 12-month service, to the dealer. The dealer then adds mark up and a labor charge to do the programming. If you consider that the 12-month service retails for $200, you can start to get an idea of what the dealer cost is and just how much they're padding for mark up and labor.

Back