Programmable buttons

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfogarty

Supporting Member
I have a few of the buttons set, but wanted to ask what you lot have your programmable buttons set to?

I know there are some cool settings so I may steal some of the better ones mentioned...

I did the bimmercode unlock on my REX to allow state-of-charge hold, then assigned it to 8 in the menu.

Also fun fact, if you don't actually push the button, but just lightly touch it, the function will be displayed for that assigned button without actually activating. I'm fairly new, so I recently figured that out.

Enjoy your i3

I've got some favorite radio stations assigned, of course, but #1 is "call wife" and #8 is "navigate home". The only other interesting one is for the stability/traction control selection, so I can switch modes a little more quickly when approaching a slippery slope in winter. I guess I set that to button 7 for luck getting up my driveway . . .

I thought I was being clever at first by assigning some buttons to online searches for charging stations, etc., but with all the disclaimers, provisos, and quids pro quo one has to click thru every time before accessing online services, I learned that it just doesn't save much time to "speed dial" any function requiring a data connection. So that's filed under the "coulda been cool" category.

1 = Bluetooth
2 = "to," as in display Nav next turn directions
3 = "Ɛ" as in Entertainment: show title/track/artist
4= "force?" (IDK!) it's my charging / climitazation menu, including next departure time – I don't use it often and had to check to remember this one
6 = "check my six," aka look behind me, as in show the list of previous destinations I've navigated to
7 = 🔨 only because I can't find a nail emoji, and displays my tire pressure menu.
5 & 8 are radio station presents.

In lieu of specific radio stations I can program a button to pull up a list of favorite stations (list of presets), then select from that list using my iDrive controller.

4 used to be "call wife" but instead I use voice commands or the steering when scroll wheel for that.

And of course you all know that setting a second driver profile to the second key (or just setting up a second driver profile and selecting it manually) provides a whole new list of hot keys?

Hi. I only use four of these;- (1) tyre pressures and temperatures, (2) Nav screen, (3) current trip computer totals, incl driving efficiencies, (8) Hold State of Charge when below 75%.
I write these down as a memory aid, because they are deleted if I ever code my car for any reason, then I can quickly reprogram them.

The radio station idea is a good one, but the radio on my car is so poor I hardly ever use it now.

1) Tire monitor
... the rest are Sirius Radio station presets:
2) Classical
3) Bob Marley Radio
4) 40s
5) 50s
6) 60s
7) 70s
8) Real Jazz

I figured I would gradually replace the stations with some necessary one-touch control launch screens over time ... but it's been almost 4 months and nothing has been changed. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BEV owner here, so no HSOC needed. I installed aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto unit, so I really only use stock head unit to check tire pressure. Button #2 takes me there :) - The 7-year old GUI/UX shows its age (on my 2017). CarPlay makes it look current and nav is so superior to BMW system ... ABRP (A better route planner) app can even read vehicle date (SOC) to use for charger navigation through OBII dongle (although I don't usually need that and it had been slightly glitchy last time I did).

BEV owner here, so no HSOC needed. I installed aftermarket Apple CarPlay/Android Auto unit, so I really only use stock head unit to check tire pressure. Button #2 takes me there :) - The 7-year old GUI/UX shows its age (on my 2017). CarPlay makes it look current and nav is so superior to BMW system ... ABRP (A better route planner) app can even read vehicle date (SOC) to use for charger navigation through OBII dongle (although I don't usually need that and it had been slightly glitchy last time I did).
Yes, I keep an older iPhone 7s in my car just for CarPlay and podcasts. Waze is so good for maps and gives me the speed limit info. As you say, it makes the display look more modern.

Yes, I keep an older iPhone 7s in my car just for CarPlay and podcasts. Waze is so good for maps and gives me the speed limit info. As you say, it makes the display look more modern.
Yes, and google maps now also includes the GPS speed info ... as they own Waze :) - voice control works with Siri texting, navigation, and iTunes/Apple Music. Siri will read out text messages and I can use voice to respond... And every time iOS updates so seems CarPlay. Thankfully the display in the i3 is still decent quality, so it does look current (other than the 10 inch size, which is relatively small by today's measure).

Back