Painting and clear coat parts

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tongsli

Supporting Member
So after my 2021 i3 was totaled, I purchased a 2019 i3S. Despite the amount of road rash, I wanted the vehicle because it was the sport version with HK stereo. So I immediately replaced some parts and kept the old ones.

Not being able to throw them out, I decided that I'd learn how to restore them (original parts). After weeks and weeks of restoration, I finally got to the clear coating. So I wanted to share the use of 2K clear or 2 component clear coat.

It makes a huge difference. The spray can fan pattern is very smooth and wide. It's also very sticky. Given the right temperatures, it stays liquid and levels out nicely. I'm posting some photos after two coats. After a month, I will wet sand the orange peel flat and then polish and buff the finish.

Using 3000 grit I should be able to make the clear much flatter and remove the dust particles. The gloss is just amazing. So much better than 1K clear coat.
1721359519661.jpeg
1721359564970.jpeg

Last edited:
Back