My Attempt to Jazz-Up Giga Wheels....

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 1096

I bought a laurel (dark) grey i3 and feel that it is pretty drab (I preferred silver). So, I started toying with the idea of brightening up the wheels, tastefully. I bought a roll of blue painters' masking tape and cut strips to just cover the trailing (1 inch wide) edge of the wheel spokes. I did it fairly carefully, but there are a lot of compound curves there that defy straight paper tape.

17841437-lg.jpg

This morning I rode down to the best powder-coating artisan (really) in our region but alas, he said it was too complicated and labor-intensive to do because of all the masking and re-masking necessary, through various steps, from sand blasting to coating to baking etc. He also honestly said he'd try it on old wheels, but not on brand new exotics. But he liked the concept and said BMW would do well to consider it.

So, I'm still searching for a way to cheer up the austere exterior. Maybe some light blue neon ground effect lights underneath.....

I think the leading edge being blue would look nice. I'm not sure how the "swirl" from blue to black would work around the lug bolts, though. Is that where they got into too much labor?

gaulfinger said:
I think the leading edge being blue would look nice. I'm not sure how the "swirl" from blue to black would work around the lug bolts, though. Is that where they got into too much labor?

No, the labor is in the masking, stripping, and remasking the unpainted parts through the four or five steps of powder coating.

Have you thought about just using PlastiDip and doing the work yourself? If you hate it or mess it up you can simply peel it off.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DPNNAC7lOro

Back