How to activate Collision warning? 16 Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickp

I have the tech package but have never heard the collision warning even once. The button under the hazard light is green and I've chosen all options. I've used the ACC and it works fine. Never seen a pedestrian warning either.

What sort of roads do you normally drive on? I've had my car just over a year and my collision alert has only triggered four or five times, only ever on narrow single-lane-each way roads, and always in tight situations (e.g. once when passing through a narrow bridge on a single-lane road).

Pedestrian warning has never triggered to date (because luckily nobody has tried to walk out in front of me in that time).

What sort of roads do you normally drive on? I've had my car just over a year and my collision alert has only triggered four or five times, only ever on narrow single-lane-each way roads, and always in tight situations (e.g. once when passing through a narrow bridge on a single-lane road).

Pedestrian warning has never triggered to date (because luckily nobody has tried to walk out in front of me in that time).
I'm in Los Angeles so pretty much surface and freeway driving. I do get the rare collision warning from my other cars but nothing in the i3.

That may just mean you're a good driver who doesn't follow too closely. But also keep in mind in this car it's all image-based — there is no forward facing radar.

I've seen the pedestrian warning two or three times in five years. I run through a security checkpoint when I go to work and the guards are often nonchalant about stepping out in front of my car as I'm pulling up. I swear I was over a year into ownership before the first time one triggered it, and it surprised be because a giant red silhouette of a person pops up on the display, accompanied by a tone. I'm sure it's a magic combination of the camera field of view and image processing / object recognition, vehicle speed, and foot position (brake / accelerator).

Back