Has anybody tried wider tires?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mg012

I really like my i3 (Giga trim w/20" wheels), but cornering and uneven road surfaces feel a little squirrelly. The tires are 175/55 R20. Seems like 195's would give the car more stability. I'm guessing that might cost some mi/kwh for the extra friction, but maybe be a little safer on wet streets too.
Anybody tried other tires? Do you know if those rims will accommodate wider tires?

Thanks
Michael

With the 20's, your front tires are 155/60-20... rears are 175/55-20... so you could perhaps get another set of the wider rear wheels for the front and have 175/55 all the way around. I don't know if that would work, the wider rubber/wheels on the front might rub at full steering lock... haven't actually seen anyone try a setup like that yet.

There are no other tire sizes out there that will fit.

I don't think it's going to help much, but please let us know if you figure out a solution. Your front tires are 155, so making the jump to 195 would be significant.

A few tuners have posted photos with aftermarket wheels that appeared to be wider, but I haven't seen anything off the shelf that will work at this point.

The rear wheels will not fit on the front without some type of modification.

Oops, I didn't look at the size of the front tires and see they were even more narrow. My thought was to up the width a couple sizes, so rear 175=> 195 and front 155=> 175.

Well, I'll drive it like its is until these tires wear out and revisit this thread (in a year or two?) to determine how to proceed with new tires. I wasn't thinking of replacing my new tires. It's not that bad. It just feels like the car would be more stable with more rubber on the road and was curious if anybody had experimented. The i3 has a fairly short and narrow wheelbase and is tall for that wheelbase.

Just enjoy the fat rubber on your other 3 cars and leave the unique skinny tires alone on the i3, they are just one more thing that makes this car stand out and help get reactions (both + and -) out of people :D

Try a bump in tire pressure in the fronts, many others have and feel it helps.

Back