Flexray issues and others with 2016 BMW i3 Rex

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdbmwi3

Hello, My 2016 BMW i3 Rex was running fine for about 94 days since I purchased it. One day it started showing various error messages on the infotainment screen. These messages are 'Brake system: Drive Moderately. Apply breaking when necessary. Consult nearest service center', 'Pedestrian Warning: Malfunction. Consult service center', 'Chassis stabilization: Drive Moderately. Consult nearest service center'. It showed all these message one by one in the same minute. But I was able to dismiss them and drive normally.

The later day it again showed all these messages and also a new one ' Hybrid system malfunction: Continued driving may not be possible after turning off engine. Consult nearest service center.'

Then I took it to Firestone and they ran the diagnostics and said they dont have the tech to fix it. Its a serious issue and advised to not drive the vehicle. They said only BMW dealerships can fix it. It also shows check engine light in the small screen above the steering wheel.

So I took it to the nearest service center. They kept the car overnight and said it needs a Software update and nothing else. Next day after I picked up and drove it home. Later day morning when I tried to start it, the threw many more errors on the screen and the car would not move. This time errors are related to Steering malfunction, Active cruise control malfunction, Drivetrain, Restraint system, parking break malfunction, etc. I got it towed to the service center again.

Now its been a week and the latest update I got from the advisor is this:

"It looks like the flexray is going down, there are fault stored in the ZGW for physical flexray bus errors on branches 1-3. The flexray is a high-speed communication bus, like a communication hub. Our engineers suggest that we inspect the BDC (body domain controller) connections and the harness connection on each flexray component to be sure there is not wire damage going to any of the flexray modules. We did not figure out how much time is involved to continue diagnosis. Things have to come apart. We need to check wiring. Continue driving the loaner for a long time as needed to repair your vehicle, it'll most likely go past next week. I'll update you as things move along."

I want to see anyone has similar experiences. Please, any advise? I am really worried. I am wondering if I made a wrong decision by choosing i3.

It only has 42K miles. I drive some 500 miles a month. Just to pick up and drop off my kid in school. I drive 1200 miles within the 94 days I owned the vehicle.

Thank you

Hello, My 2016 BMW i3 Rex was running fine for about 94 days since I purchased it. One day it started showing various error messages on the infotainment screen. These messages are 'Brake system: Drive Moderately. Apply breaking when necessary. Consult nearest service center', 'Pedestrian Warning: Malfunction. Consult service center', 'Chassis stabilization: Drive Moderately. Consult nearest service center'. It showed all these message one by one in the same minute. But I was able to dismiss them and drive normally.

The later day it again showed all these messages and also a new one ' Hybrid system malfunction: Continued driving may not be possible after turning off engine. Consult nearest service center.'

Then I took it to Firestone and they ran the diagnostics and said they dont have the tech to fix it. Its a serious issue and advised to not drive the vehicle. They said only BMW dealerships can fix it. It also shows check engine light in the small screen above the steering wheel.

So I took it to the nearest service center. They kept the car overnight and said it needs a Software update and nothing else. Next day after I picked up and drove it home. Later day morning when I tried to start it, the threw many more errors on the screen and the car would not move. This time errors are related to Steering malfunction, Active cruise control malfunction, Drivetrain, Restraint system, parking break malfunction, etc. I got it towed to the service center again.

Now its been a week and the latest update I got from the advisor is this:

"It looks like the flexray is going down, there are fault stored in the ZGW for physical flexray bus errors on branches 1-3. The flexray is a high-speed communication bus, like a communication hub. Our engineers suggest that we inspect the BDC (body domain controller) connections and the harness connection on each flexray component to be sure there is not wire damage going to any of the flexray modules. We did not figure out how much time is involved to continue diagnosis. Things have to come apart. We need to check wiring. Continue driving the loaner for a long time as needed to repair your vehicle, it'll most likely go past next week. I'll update you as things move along."

I want to see anyone has similar experiences. Please, any advise? I am really worried. I am wondering if I made a wrong decision by choosing i3.

It only has 42K miles. I drive some 500 miles a month. Just to pick up and drop off my kid in school. I drive 1200 miles within the 94 days I owned the vehicle.

Thank you
I hope the dealer tried the easy stuff like checking the 12V battery before going on that quest.

I hope the dealer tried the easy stuff like checking the 12V battery before going on that quest.
hi rob, yeah, they checked the 12V battery was good. I forgot to mention that. thank you. hoping someone would throw some light. :)

If you park where rodents might be able to climb into your car, they might have chewed on some wiring (wild-ass guess).
hhmm... i am still waiting to hear from the service center about the wiring. i should know today i guess. i will post here what they say. thanks aloha.

Back