Fix for CFRB delamination

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Map40

This weekend I fixed the roof of my i3. Here is a short video of the process. Hope it helps!

Thanks for producing and sharing this video!

Why would the aftermarket products that you applied not degrade as rapidly as the coating applied by BMW? CFRP roof delimitation has been a problem with BMW M cars and i3's for years, so wouldn't BMW have changed what they used for a more durable coating if one existed?

Thanks for producing and sharing this video!

Why would the aftermarket products that you applied not degrade as rapidly as the coating applied by BMW? CFRP roof delimitation has been a problem with BMW M cars and i3's for years, so wouldn't BMW have changed what they used for a more durable coating if one existed?
Most likely manufacturing and material costs. The layer of epoxy is pretty thick, and it does not matter how good your process is, you are talking about at least 1 hour cure. BMW CF manufacturing process is famous for only taking 2 minutes, and part of their secret is that the layer of resin (epoxy) is pretty thin.
I have worked in the automotive, aviation and aerospace industry, and the problem is always the same; they probably thought they could get away with it.
No, a thick layer of epoxy as the one I put, with a high quality clearcoat, everything UV rated, will certainly outlast the rest of the vehicle.

Back