experiences with eDrive exterior sound?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psquare

Anybody on this forum who has got the exterior sound option?

I have been told that the exterior sound comes on as default when starting the car, but it can be overridden manually. Does this also mean you can switch it on as needed whilst driving? How loud is it? Is it very audible from the inside ?

I found this blog post, which describes it as a "turbine-like, external" sound
http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/05/22/audible-pedestrian-protection-artificial-sound-bmw-i3-i8/

Any experiences welcome.

P.S.: Just to be clear, I do not want to start a discussion on whether or not this option makes sense, but to find out what it is like.

Thanks,
P

Are you referring to the pedestrian warning sound option (not available in the USA)? I read somewhere that it came on automatically when moving up to around 18mph, where, it was felt that the tire and road noises would alert anyone. But, that was awhile ago, so I have no confirmation. IF it's available in your market, it should be described in the operator's manual.

I haven't got the manual yet, as I've only just ordered my i3. The option is called "eDrive exterior sound" in the brochure (£85). I seem to remember the sales exec described it as an external sound that comes on as default at start, but can be switched off manually.

Just wondering how loud it is, where the button is located and what people's experiences with it are. Judging by the flood of replies, it seems to be very popular (not).

If you have been assigned a VIN (vehicle identification number), you can download an electronic version of the manual - handy for a smart phone, or computer. Something to read while awaiting the vehicle to be built and delivered. By supplying the VIN, the computer can customize the manual to your vehicle.

Back