Drive train error on a 2018 i3 Rex 94Ah

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bohoe

I can't tell why but after a year with my wonderful second hand 2018 i3 Rex 94Ah, the range extender started to fail to kick in when requested, both at the default level or whenever requested within the <75% level. In fact, when activated it sounds like the Rex attempts to start about 3-4 times after which a drive train error appears on screen. I tried several times in very different conditions and there is no way to shake this off.

I brought the i3 to the BMW garage in Dublin where I am based and they told me that to initiate any diagnosis I would need to first get any third party of my choice to uninstall the existing CarPlay; they need to install the latest version of the core software, as mine seems outdated, and having CarPlay there could brick the setup, loosing the maps and everything else.

So, while I get the CarPlay uninstalled and start the process, does anyone know why would the drive train error come up this way? My feeling is that something minor may be at play. I have read about many small things that owners discovered to have caused this error, from a condenser (don't ask me why/where), to closing the boot properly (???), to some other bits like an 02 sensor.

Any thoughts welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_5635_x.jpg
    IMG_5635_x.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
Back