Adding DTC/DSC control button

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wxq99

The traction control of BMW i3 is very aggressive and it is quite hard to slip those skinny tires, very annoying. I have decided to add DTC and DSC control button so I do not need to dig deep into the menu and change the setting every time I drive the car.

Adding this button is very easy with i8 part, the control module you will need is BMW 9280578:

Screenshot 2024-08-16 at 11.25.02 AM.png

If you have regular i3, all you need to do is to disassembly this module and take out the rear view camera button. If you have i3s, you probably want to take the drive mode rocker out from your existing one and put it in the new module so it can has 'sport' mode.

The installation is plug and play without wiring needed but you do need to cut your trim to fit the new added button, not an easy job to make it nice but can be done, here is my work:

IMG_7513.JPG

After the installation, you will need to code the following modules in the car:

BDC:
SWITCHBOARD_DTC_VARIANT: switchboard_a_s1
SWITCHBOARD_AI_A_ENABLE_DTC: aktiv
SWITCHBOARD_AI_B_ENABLE_DTC: nicht_aktiv
SWITCHBOARD_AI_C_ENABLE_DTC: nicht_aktiv
SWITCHBOARD_AI_D_ENABLE_DTC: nicht_aktiv

DSC2:
QdmKfvDscAbkDep = BedienungViaTaster

HU_NBT:
DSC_MENUE: nicht_aktiv

If installation and coding is done properly, the short press will disable DTC and long press 5 seconds will disable DSC:

View attachment IMG_7514.MOV

I was surprised that there wasn't a physical button to change modes when I went looking the first December in my i3. I ended up programming one of the dash buttons to bring up the stability/traction settings so I can switch more quickly before I turn in my driveway in the snow.

Glad to see more retrofitters! :)

How is it when you drive with DSC off? I experienced that regeneration was on, but that this turned off when you kept the "gas in 0 position" so that it was then disengaged and the car went into a kind of "roller mode". When this disengagement occurred, there was a small bump in the car. Do you experience the same?

There is no regen when DSC is off, what you feel was the inertia from spinning motor.

There is no regen on my car when DSC is off. If you read the training manual you will then find out that regen and so called simulated engine torque (engine brake) is a part of DSC function, as long as you turned it off, they will be nothing at all.

Back