12V battery step by step and preventing errors

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently had my 12V battery die on me while 320 miles away from home on a trip. Ended up having to "jump start" my i3, and drive directly to dealership to get it changed out. They said it would take 1.5 hours and cost $500 to $550. After waiting, they told me they sold the last battery that morning, gave me a loaner and I picked it up 2 days later. They charged $460.

BUT... If they could take a fresh battery out of the box and install in 1.5 hours... Do they have a test mode or similar that they use to tell the car to engage the DC/DC converter and charge up the battery? They didn't seem to have much time to charge it up properly if the overall service was only 1.5 hours.

Also, when I picked up the car, the interior was all fogged up like the car had been left running for an extended period of time with no defroster running. If they had just parked it and left it off, it wouldn't be like that.

I'm just thinking about putting a small standard 12V battery in the front trunk, and connect it in parallel to the dying or dead vehicle battery, to e. g. bridge the time until getting a replacement. Has someone experience in doing so or any theoretical or practical objections?

I'm just thinking about putting a small standard 12V battery in the front trunk, and connect it in parallel to the dying or dead vehicle battery, to e. g. bridge the time until getting a replacement. Has someone experience in doing so or any theoretical or practical objections?
That is not a good idea. The failing/dead 12v battery will suck all the juice out of other battery very quickly.

just fit a blue tooth voltage sensor
once the V drops below 12.2 V at any time, replace it, at around 5 yrs / 70k miles = no hassle

Did you have to modify the screw-on SAE battery posts to fit this battery?
Nope. I’ve installed this battery on my neighbors 2019 and the OEM terminal adapters fit perfectly. There is a vent hole at the rear but it needs to be drilled or reamed out to accommodate the original vent tube fitting.

Back