Restore worn steering wheel?

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggilliom

I just bought a beautiful 2014 i3, light gray interior. Like many I've seen this age, the gray steering wheel is pretty badly worn, with black showing through in several places (mostly along the seams). Can anyone recommend a way to restore or retstain the wheel?

The rest of the car looks virtually new. I've thought about replacing it with a salvage wheel (I've seen a few on eBay), but would prefer to fix what I've got. All ideas welcome! Thanks!

A gazillion years ago when dinosaurs roamed the Earth and cars came with slippery plastic steering wheels, you could pick up cheap steering wheel wrap kits for peanuts at any auto parts store. Some were long/wide vinyl strips that you looped around the steering wheel like a bandage or taping the grip of a baseball bat, and others were continuous vinyl rings that you placed over the outside edge of the steering wheel and then tied down either by stitching or wrapping a plastic string around them. Both were definitely 1970's vogue, and probably not suitable for a BMW.

Auto parts stores do sell nicer one-piece wraps these days, and even a few with heaters built in if you remember to plug it in when you park.

There are companies that will re-skin steering wheels, but that may be more expensive than a replacement salvage part.....

Back