Rear wiper delete

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megabmw

attachment.php

Sure it's raining, but I never use the rear wiper, it scratch the glass.
As said above, it's to small and not useful.
And I like the look without it, make notice there is not type logos either. Clean!

You get dust in Norway? Anytime I've been there it has been raining!

We get lots of dust here in Australia, but I have yet to scratch a rear window by using the wiper. Some cars allow you to run washer fluid before the wiper runs, we have a Citroen that does that, must check if the i3 does it.

Not so much dust, more sand.
I'm cleaning the car quite often so in real life it isn't a problem...

wiper delete completed!

The interior trim panels have thre torx fasteners, two behind the clips that hold the warning triangle.
Then the large panels pulls off (clips). The two vertical trim panels need to be pulled out of their clips before you can unhook the main centre panel from them.

Three bolts hold the wiper motor in place and one elec connector.

The wiper arm has a taper-fit, it can be stubborn. I tried levering it off the shaft, then I took a break to re-think how to separate it, then it somehow just fell off with no effort required!

Reassmbly of panels is easy. I stuck a circle of gloss black vinyl over the hole left in the glass, practically invisible.

Wiper deleting makes the tailgate lighter to lift up (may replace the gas-strut with a linear actuator for automatic raising. The car seems easier to drift now, is that due to lighter tailgate or winter chill keeping the tyres cold?

Next mod is blackout the rear lights and reduce drag/turbulence round the front wheels with two aero-splitters.

KolorMeCarbon said:
wiper delete completed!

The interior trim panels have thre torx fasteners, two behind the clips that hold the warning triangle.
Then the large panels pulls off (clips). The two vertical trim panels need to be pulled out of their clips before you can unhook the main centre panel from them.

Three bolts hold the wiper motor in place and one elec connector.

The wiper arm has a taper-fit, it can be stubborn. I tried levering it off the shaft, then I took a break to re-think how to separate it, then it somehow just fell off with no effort required!

Reassmbly of panels is easy. I stuck a circle of gloss black vinyl over the hole left in the glass, practically invisible.

Wiper deleting makes the tailgate lighter to lift up (may replace the gas-strut with a linear actuator for automatic raising. The car seems easier to drift now, is that due to lighter tailgate or winter chill keeping the tyres cold?

Next mod is blackout the rear lights and reduce drag/turbulence round the front wheels with two aero-splitters.
To be clear, where there is now a hole in the glass where the wiper arm actuator came through, you simply covered it with black vinyl? Are you not worried about water getting in?

Ironically my i3 does have a water ingress problem, in the carbon side sills.
The tailgate has no leaks, the vinyl cover is about twice the diameter of the hole, it’s a water-tight seal.

If water did get under the vinyl it would dissolve the adhesive and it’ll fall off but it’s remaining well-stuck.

Now we just need single front wiper to make more like it's lightweight design grand-father the A2 !

Fewer wipers to replace.

Back