All these acronyms, who's making them up? Would you stop it

BMW i3 Forum

Help Support BMW i3 Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ACDCBMW

Is it just me or are others annoyed by all the acronyms people are using in these messages.

Okay, so I looked everywhere on the BMW users manual, the window sticker, BMW webpages and could not fined them so I am posting it on this site.

First of all KISS (Keep It Simple and Stupid) is my motto.

With that said, let me explain about these acronyms people are using.

First, BMW i3 comes in two models, i3 and i3 with Range Extender. I don't know where people get the BEV and REX. It sure isn't a logo on the back of the i3s. It's not in the i3 User Manual, nor is it called out on the window sticker or anywhere in BMW lingo. Anyone have a solid answer? I mean solid not just because.

Then there is the CCS Combo Quick Charger, I google it and it means Combined Charging System. What does that mean? The standard name that was adopted globally was DC 'quick Charger (SAE), just like the Level 2 is J1772 plugs. Now BMW manual calls it correctly, so does the PlugShare and Recargo Apps. Stop calling it CCS Combo.

Then there is CEL, KLE, PIP, VPC... the list goes on and on and on... :roll:

Its just you. :twisted:
I think most people find it easy to type REX or BEV and most people realise what they mean within about 10 mins of their interest in the i3.

As for the 'DC 'quick Charger (SAE),’ I think that is incorrect or at least confusing as there are 3 basic charge options - slow (standard domestic socket (3 pin 13A in UK), fast (using an EVSE) or RAPID (using the DC chargers.

BMW makes extensive use of the abbreviation "REx", beginning with its main i3 page: http://www.bmw.com/com/en/newvehicles/i/i3/2013/showroom/drive.html.

BEV is a term commonly used in the United States to denote a Battery Electric Vehicle, and has been adopted by many on this site as a convenient way to distinguish between the two.

Edited 4 July, making correction noted below by stumbledotcom

Back